Summary: I. God speaks about our service (vs. 1-11): -Appointments, abilities, accomplishments. II. God speaks about His Sabbaths (vs. 12-17): -A serious thing, a sign, our strength.
Moses on the Mountain with the Lord - Part 10
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - August 25, 2010
BACKGROUND & INTRODUCTION:
*Tonight we are near the end of Moses’ fifth meeting on Mount Sinai with the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ. (1)
*This fifth meeting lasted for 40 days, and most of that time the Lord was giving Moses very detailed instructions for the Tabernacle and the Priests who would serve there.
-But at the same time, the Lord was giving us 8 physical pictures of spiritual truth:
 The Ark teaches us about God’s law and love, because it contained the Law, and its mercy seat was sprinkled with the blood of the sacrifice.
 The showbread teaches us about God’s life, because Jesus Christ is the true Bread of Life.
 The lamp stand teaches us about God’s light, because Jesus is the Light of the world
 The Tabernacle teaches us about God living with and in His New Testament saints, because in Exodus 25:8, the Lord had told Moses: “Let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.”
 The Altar of Sacrifice teaches us about the price paid for our sins.
 The priests teach us about our Great High Priest Jesus Christ, who goes to God the Father on our behalf, and bridges the impassable gap caused by our sin.
 The Altar of incense teaches us that our prayers are like sweet-smelling smoke rising up to our God.
 And the bronze basin of water, where the priests washed before their service to the Lord teaches us the importance of purity. Those Old Testament priests were washed in water, but Christians, we are washed in the Blood of the Lamb.
*Now the Lord is about to finish giving instructions to Moses, but God had some more important things to say. Let’s look at it tonight in Exodus 31, and we can start by reading vs. 1-6.
1. Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying:
2. "See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.
3. And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
4. to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze,
5. in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship.
6. "And I, indeed I, have appointed with him Aholiab the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan; and I have put wisdom in the hearts of all the gifted artisans, that they may make all that I have commanded you:
I. In these verses the Lord speaks to us about our service. And we can notice three things about our service to God.
1. First: He gives us appointments.
*The Lord God gives appointments to His people. We see this in vs. 1&2:
1. Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:
2. "See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.”
*Also take a look at vs. 6, where the Lord said: “And I, indeed I, have appointed with him Aholiab the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan; and I have put wisdom in the hearts of all who are gifted artisans, that they may make all that I have commanded you.”