Summary: Earthly things teach eternal truth: 1. Bronze altar: price for our sins (Ex 27:1-8 & 29:37-43) 2. Earthly priests: our eternal Priest (Ex 28:1-43 & 29:1-30) 3. Incense altar: our prayers (Ex 30:1-10) 4. Bronze water basin: our purity (Ex 30:18-21)
Moses on the Mountain with the Lord - Part 9
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - August 18, 2010
*Tonight we get back to Mount Sinai with Moses as he met with the Lord God Jehovah, the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ. This is Moses’ 5th visit with the Lord, and it will last for 40 days. (1)
*We are still focusing on the things of the Tabernacle. And as we have seen, God uses earthly things to teach us eternal truth.
*Last time we looked at 4 spiritual pictures:
-The Ark taught us about God’s law and love, because it contained the Law, and its mercy seat was sprinkled with the blood of the sacrifice.
-The showbread taught us about God’s life, because Jesus is the Bread of Life.
-The lampstand taught us about God’s light, because Jesus is the Light of the world
-And the Tabernacle taught us about God living with and in His New Testament saints, because in Exo 25:8, the Lord had told Moses: “Let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.”
*Tonight we will look at 4 more spiritual pictures.
1. The first spiritual picture is the price for our sins.
The price for our sins is represented by the bronze altar we read about in Exodus 27:1-8. Here the Lord told Moses:
1. "You shall make an altar of acacia wood, five cubits long and five cubits wide—the altar shall be square—and its height shall be three cubits.
2. You shall make its horns on its four corners; its horns shall be of one piece with it. And you shall overlay it with bronze.
3. Also you shall make its pans to receive its ashes, and its shovels and its basins and its forks and its firepans; you shall make all its utensils of bronze.
4. You shall make a grate for it, a network of bronze; and on the network you shall make four bronze rings at its four corners.
5. You shall put it under the rim of the altar beneath, that the network may be midway up the altar.
6. And you shall make poles for the altar, poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with bronze.
7. The poles shall be put in the rings, and the poles shall be on the two sides of the altar to bear it.
8. You shall make it hollow with boards; as it was shown you on the mountain, so shall they make it.
*This bronze altar was placed in the Court of the People near the entrance to the Tabernacle. And this altar was used to offer burnt offerings to God.
*In Exodus 29, the Lord gave great detail about how to cleanse and atone for the priests. Then the Lord explained the atonement for the altar.
*Look at Exodus 29:37-39:
37. "Seven days you shall make atonement for the altar and sanctify it. And the altar shall be most holy. Whatever touches the altar must be holy.
38. Now this is what you shall offer on the altar: two lambs of the first year, day by day continually.
39. One lamb you shall offer in the morning, and the other lamb you shall offer at twilight.
*Then in vs. 42&43, the Lord said:
42. This shall be a continual burnt offering throughout your generations at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the Lord, where I will meet you to speak with you.