Summary: Mothers Day - 5th Commandment (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: Exodus chapter 20 verse 12.
• Our reading is short but meaningful:
• "Honour your father and your mother."
• Amplified Bible:
• “Regard (treat with honour, due obedience, and courtesy) your father and mother”
• A four-year-old and a six-year-old presented their Mom with a house plant.
• They had used their own money and she was thrilled.
• The older of them said with a sad face,
• There was a bouquet that we wanted to give you at the flower shop.
• It was real pretty, but it was too expensive.
• It had a lovely red ribbon with the words, ‘Rest In Peace’,
• And we thought it would be just perfect;
• Since you are always asking for a little peace so that you can rest.
By setting aside the day we call Mothers' Day:
• We are not merely contributing to a higher standard of living for;
• Florists, greeting card publishers and restaurant owners.
• We are fulfilling the Biblical command (the 5th commandment);
• Where we are told to "Honour your mother."
The Hebrew word (language of the Old Testament) for ‘honour’ means ‘Treat as weighty’:
• Someone did ask a little girl,
• What are you going to do, when you get as big as your mother.
• The little girl thought for a moment;
• Then replied; “Go on a diet!”
The Bible word for ‘honour’ means ‘Treat as weighty’:
• Obviously not physical!
• It means our respect, our gratitude, our attitude and our responsibility;
• Should be over-loaded towards them (“Father & Mother”).
The story is told that one day a beggar was begging on the side of the road;
• Alexander the Great passed by and the man asked for a spare coin.
• The Emperor threw into his begging bowl several gold coins.
• A courtier was astonished at his generosity and commented,
• “Sir, copper coins would adequately meet a beggar’s need. Why give him gold?”
• Alexander responded,
• “Copper coins would suit the beggar’s need, but gold coins suit Alexander’s giving.”
• ‘Honour’ means that our respect, our gratitude, our attitude and our responsibility;
• Should be generous, over-loaded towards them (“Father & Mother”).
• We should be generous towards our Mothers in gratitude for all the;
• Sacrificial, long hours, multi-tasking, generous, empathy and wisdom! They have shown towards us.
• Mothers are quite unique!
• Motherhood is the most creative job in the world.
• It involves;
• Fashion, decorating, recreation, education, transportation, psychology, romance,
• Cuisine, literature, art, economics, government, paediatrics, geriatrics, entertainment,
• Maintenance, purchasing, law, religion, energy and management.
• Anyone who can handle all those has to be somebody special.
• She is. She's a homemaker.