Summary: A tribute to God’s Masterful Servants; Our Mothers’!
A 15 yr old boy came bounding into the house and found his mom in bed. He asked if she was sick or something. He was truly concerned! Mom replied that , as a matter of fact, she didn’t feel too well. The son replied, “Well, don’t worry about dinner, I’ll be happy to carry you down to the stove”
Modern day mothers- their day to day lives-
In Hebrew Family:
· Mother occupied a higher position than that enjoyed by women in many other nations
· Mother’s duties were primarily domestic
· She was held in the highest regard in the Hebrew nation
The Concept of Mother
· Sometimes used in more figurative ways
· Nations were sometimes thought of as “Mothers”
o Prophet Ezekiel used “Mother” as a metaphor for Israel.
o After being nurtured and cared for by their “Mother”, the” princes of Israel” brought shame upon Her by their idolatrous practices [ EZE 19 1-14]
· Jeremiah used the concept of “Israel as Mother” to personify the nations sin.
· While Hosea made it a continuing theme in his prophecies.
· The word “Mother” was also used to describe large and important cities.
o Abel of Beth- Maacha was called “A Mother of Israel” [2nd Sam 20:19]
· A city was also called “Mother” in terms of its influences on its people.
o Babylon was called “The Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth” [Rev 17:5]
The Figurative Meaning of “Mother” also included ancestry.
· Eve was the “Mother of all Living” [Gen 3:20]
· God blessed Sarah by declaring “she be the Mother of all nations. [Gen 17:16]
· Rebekah was blessed to become “the Mother of thousands of ten thousands” [Gen 24:60]
The Love and Nurturing of God is sometimes compared to
the Love and Caring a Mother gives to a Newborn Child.
· Paul referred to New Christians as “babes in Christ”
[1 Cor 3:1]
· And further implying a connection to Jesus and God as “Mother” as well as “Father”. [1st Thes. 2:7]
Mother-in-Law enjoys equal stature in the Bible.
· A classic example of a beloved Mother-in-Law is Naomi, mother-in-law to Ruth.
o In Naomi we see a beautiful representation of
§ Love, Compassion, and Sincerity.
In Mary Mother of Jesus, we see the epitome’ of Motherhood.
· We see a wonderful example of Humility.
o Nowhere in History is Mary’s name mentioned outside the scope of her Son’s presence.
o She herself was the recipient of one of God’s greatest gifts to mankind.
o Yet she never sought glory or fame.
o We sadly see this great servant of God and their Son die and obscure death; a death not recorded, but glorified by the resurrected Son.
· In Mary, we see an example of absolute Purity.
o The Bible infers that she was a Pious individual.
§ [Luke 2:41]
o She was most certainly put to the test by her Jewish neighbors and peers. [Num 5:11]
In Mary, we see an absolute dedication to Her Child.
· She & Joseph were terrified when He was lost [Lk 2:48]
· After Joseph’s death, she traveled extensively with Jesus throughout His ministry [John 2:12]
· Most interesting was the relationship she had with Jesus
o Wedding feast at Canaan [John 2:1-11]
o She was firm and respectful at the same time
o Jesus shows His respect for her wishes, despite His reluctance to get involved here.
o She is aware of His abilities.
o Pushes Him to a “Higher Service”
o Jesus rebels; but then respectfully complies to the wishes of His beloved “Mother”
In Mary, we see a faithfulness till death, towards Her family.
· She was with Him till the end.
· Which was ultimately the beginning.
o [1 Cor 15:1-4}
· Jesus from the agonizing torture of the Cross, was still concerned about the welfare of His “Mother”.
· His Love for Her was a direct reflection of the love she had shown Him!
You know sometimes men and women who never stand in a pulpit preach the greatest sermons through living out the Word in their daily lives
· we see that motherhood should be considered God’s glorious, given duty to all who would be revered as Mothers.
· And pious, respected mothers and mother-in-laws
o Develop a sense of security, loyalty, and love.
o Develop a respect held in the highest regard.
o Influence every generation to come by their actions.
o Will ultimately, in my humble opinion, dictate the course of this great nation and the world at large.
o The mothers that are remembered best, are the mothers that practice what preachers preach!
An old Spanish proverb says:
An ounce of motherhood is
worth a pound of preaching!