Summary: Knowing God is working in us, helps us to be motivated to work for Him.
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
"Therefore" … points a backwards . . .
· Risen Christ our Reality and Hope (15:1-19)
· Last Enemy (Death) Destroyed (15:20-28; 55-56)
· Spiritual Body (15:35-54)
1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
If God is at work for us in the eternal … will He not also be at work for us in the day by day?
"A firm belief in the resurrection and a solid hope for the future gives incentive for service in the present."
1. Motivated to Settle In (steadfast)
· Be steadfast … settled or sedentary … to sit.
Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
1 Peter 5:8-9 Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. 9 Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that Christians all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.
· Settle in to the work God is doing for you, in you and through you.
2. Motivated to Settle Down (immovable)
· Be immovable … not to be quickly moved.
· Root: to stir to a place; remove
Each day holds many elements that can quickly move us into worries, frustrations, hurts, etc. … if we are not settled in and down to the work of God.
· Negative is added … "immovable" … to not me stirred up so as to be moved away from the work of God in us.
Colossians 1:23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.
· Settled in and down helps us to go and work the works of God.
3. Motivated to Settle Up (abounding)
· Abounding in the work … to be in excess of both quality and quantity.
Colossians 2:6-7 As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
· Work … act or deed … everything we do!
o Created for … Ephesians 2:10
o Creator glorified … Matthew 5:16
· Our work is to reflect the work of God.
· To know this helps us to "labor" on even in the midst of pains, troubles, and weariness.
Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
2 Thessalonians 3:13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.
· Our work is never in vain (empty) when done in the Lord.
Motivation for Monday or any other day is not just "have a good day" … but to have a good working day in the Lord knowing God is already working for us in the day to come.