Summary: When I am Christ, what does that mean?
• SLIDE #1
• OI hope you have been learning some things during our What Do I Believe About… series.
• We began with examining the possibility that there is a God in heaven who created the heavens and the universe, an uncaused first cause.
• Then we made the significant jump to see that this Creator, is a personal God, one who indeed cares for you.
• Next we looked at how we could be in a relationship with this God and how we could experience the joys of the promises He offers to one who comes to Him.
• Last week, Jerry took you on a journey showing you why one can can trust the Bible as the Word of God. If we cannot trust the Bible, then we have no basis for anything we say or do, it is then simply opinion.
• This week we are going deeper down the rabbit hole as we strive to grasp the concept of our identity in Christ!
• Once one grasps the concept of a creator, then makes the huge leap to realizing that He cares for them, then takes the necessary steps to be in a relationship with this AWESOME, God, and by the way, we then see enough evidence to trust the Bible as God’s only revealed word and will, now we go deeper.
• I see too many Christians who do not apprehend the concept that being in a relationship with Jesus makes them special, it changes who they are and it changes what they are about, as well as how the relationship changes their eternal destiny.
• Identity is something many people struggle with, who am I? You can turn to Facebook and you will see all kinds of quizzes.
• What Walking Dead Character are you? What President are you? What Super Hero are you? What Greek God are you? What Celebrity do you look like?
• FYI, I did the celebrity because I tell folks I want to look like Johnny Depp, for my wife. I took the quiz and on my 5th try, I was told I look like Johnny Depp!
• My follow up identity quiz was HOW BLIND ARE YOU!
• Our identity is important, who we are is important. People try to steal our identities because they want the benefit of your bank account or credit score.
• Today we will examine five implications of our identity in Christ! We will be looking at a few passages so you can follow on screen or via the You Version App.
• SLIDE #2
• John 1:12 (HCSB) — 12 But to all who did receive Him, He gave them the right to be children of God, to those who believe in His name,
• SLIDE #3
I. In Christ, I am a child of God, and an heir of His kingdom.
• When you are in Christ, and we spoke of how that happens 2 weeks ago, your identity changes from being of this world, to becoming a part of God’s family!
• Notice that when we receive Christ, we have the RIGHT or another way to translate the Greek word EX OOO SEE A (RIGHT) is PRIVILEGE!
• It denotes a LIBERTY OF ACTION.
• This LIBERTY OF ACTION gives those in Christ the ability to continue to live in obedience to Christ and be saved.
• The scriptures do not afford a single instance of any person being saved by faith until the faith involved expressed itself in action through obedience to the Lord's commands. (1 John 2:4; 5:3.) Real faith leads to obedience.