Summary: Key Point: The God of the universe is at once both a “Shock and Awe” God, and “Up Close and Personal.” Only God makes it possible for us to thrive under both sides of Him.
My King, My Daddy
Two very different aspects of God we need to come to grips with
Shock and Awe bombing, quickened pulse, lump in my throat, sweaty palms, (also what is behind the scenes, kids crying) witnessing the power of something
Jessica Lynch—teacher wanna be, POW, daring rescue, the picture of Jessica on the stretcher (compared to her graduation pic). Brought the war to a close personal event. Names, faces, real people
Images provide a framework for today’s
Shock and Awe & Up close and personal
Isaiah 6—Shock and Awe
Romans 8—Up close and Personal
Key Point: The God of the universe is at once both a “Shock and Awe” God, and “Up Close and Personal.” Only God makes it possible for us to thrive under both sides of Him.
Transition: The first image of God we will examine today is the:
1. The Shock and Awe God: Moves His People from Ruin to Purpose
Isaiah 6:1-8 (read)
1. What must it have been like for Isaiah to see God in the temple?
o I have seen important people, Orange Bowl, coaches luncheon. Autographs, feeling a bit of awe (show helmet)
o Nothing like encountering God!
1. God of the universe
3. Strange seraphs (6 wings, exotic faces, sounds of wings and voices, shaking of door posts—like earthquake in S. Ill)
4. WWE/Rock concert nothing in comparison
5. WOE IS ME! He is SHOCKED and AWED God is perfect, sinless, mighty, Isaiah is no match
6. We need to capture, (recapture) that aspect of God
o Read the prophets, speak bluntly of the sinful situation, their dire circumstance, but continued pride and rebellion.
o We often think of the God of the flannel graph, etc. but he is grander than any flannel graph board, etc.
o Reading the prophets helps us recover this God
o Catholic grand buildings: conveys transcendence of God
2. You don’t want to be on the wrong side!
o Israel is turning things upside down and inside out (evil for good, dark for light)
Isa 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good
and good evil,
who put darkness for light
and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet
and sweet for bitter.
Isa 5:21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
and clever in their own sight.
Isa 5:22 Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine
and champions at mixing drinks,
Isa 5:23 who acquit the guilty for a bribe,
but deny justice to the innocent.
Isa 5:24 Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw
and as dry grass sinks down in the flames,
so their roots will decay
and their flowers blow away like dust;
for they have rejected the law of the LORD Almighty
and spurned the word e of the Holy One of Israel.
Isa 5:25 Therefore the LORD’S anger burns against his people;
his hand is raised and he strikes them down.
The mountains shake,
and the dead bodies are like refuse in the streets.
o Isaiah Faces His own Ruin
1. When faced with God, Isaiah’s sense of guilt runs to his Core
• Sneaking over to the girls’ locker room
• Games over! Nothing left but fear and ruin!
3. “Shock and Awe” shows His merciful side
o Cleanses Isaiah with a burning coal from the alter
o What Jesus does for us
4. Isaiah moves from Ruin to Purpose