Psalm 23 My Shepherd
1. A Testimony of Sovereignty - The Lord is My Shepherd.
Isaiah 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
"Lord "speaks of His deity. shepherd speaks of His humanity.
As Lord He is able. As shepherd He is approachable.
He is the Saviour Shepherd - He came to provide pardon for sin
Luke 19:10 For the Son of man came to seek and save that which was lost
He is the Good Shepherd - He died to pay the penalty for sin John 10:11
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
He is the Great Shepherd - He arose to save from the power of sin.
Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
He is the Chief Shepherd - He is coming to save from the presence of sin.
1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
2. A Testimony of Sufficency - I shall not want
1. Green pastures speaks of provision.
2. Still waters speaks of peace.
3. The restoring of my soul speaks of pardon.
4. Leading in the paths of righteousness speaks of providence.
5. His being with me in the dark valley speaks of presence.
6. His rod and staff speaks of preservation.
7. The table in the presence of my enemies speaks of protection.
8. The anointing of my head with oil and overflowing speaks of plenty.
9. Dwelling in the house of the Lord speaks of paradise.
3. A Testimony of Satisfaction - 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Provision - Sheep will not lie down while they are hungry
Peace - Sheep will not drink from fast running water
4. A Testimony of Salvation - 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
1. The Ministry of the Shepherd - "He restoreth my soul...".
2. The Mastery of the Shepherd - He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
3. The Majesty of the Shepherd - "for His name sake".
Note: Respect - Restoration - Righteousness - Reputation
1 John 4:19, "We love Him because He first loved us".
5. A Testimony of Security. In Palestine (the valley of the shadow of death)
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
6. A Testimony of Safety
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
The Fullness We Have in Jesus: "Thou preparest a table..." Psalms 78:19 Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? 20 Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?
The Freshness We Have in Jesus: thou anointest my head with oil
The Freedom We Have in Jesus: "My cup runneth over." John 10:10,
I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly
7. A Testimony of Surety 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
The Certainty of It - "Surely.....I will dwell."
Rev. 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
The Company of It - "The house of the Lord."
The Consistency of It - "forever." Sheep never settle in one place long.
"dwell" means to settle down and be at home. - Forever.