Summary: Things I want changed in my life before I die.
MY SPIRITUAL BUCKET LIST
10-11-09 Psalm 39:1-12
1. VICTORY OVER MY TONGUE Vs. 1-2
James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
A. Pointed Purpose
1. Psalms 17:3 … I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
2. Eccl 5:6 Amp Don’t allow your mouth to cause your body to sin;
3. Job 27:4 My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.
B. Passionate Plea –
1. Psalms 141:3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
2. Scripture says my “heart is wicked”
a. Out of this wicked heart my words flow
b. left to my self words or lying, anger, gossip, filth etc
C. Powerful Praise
a. Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 71:24 My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.
2. Remembrance – God hears every word!
Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spoke often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
2. FIRE IN MY BONES Vs. 3
A. For His Presence
1. Like the Disciples on Road to Emmaus
a. Easy to get discouraged and depressed
b. But when Jesus is near things change
c. Luke 24:32
And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
B. For His Promises
1. Psalmist decided was not going to say anything a. Jeremiah 20:9 (MSG) But if I say, "Forget it! No more God-Messages from me!" The words are fire in my belly, a burning in my bones. I’m worn out trying to hold it in. I can’t do it any longer!
2. Know that His Word will come true – act like it!
A small boy riding a Church bus home from SS very proud of the card – received -picture & caption “Have Faith in God.” –
to his dismay the card slipped -fluttered out the window.
“Stop the bus!” he cried. “I’ve lost my ‘faith in God!’”
Driver stopped – boy jumped out – retrieving - climbed back on - Griping card tightly little boy “You can go now, I’ve got my faith in God back!!
C. For His Power
1. Holy Ghost Power
What God chooses, He cleanses. What God cleanses, He molds. What God molds, He fills. What God fills, He uses. - J. S. Baxter
2. Cry out for God to fill us and use us in Kingdom Work
3. RECOGNITION OF MY WEAKNESS Vs. 4-5
A. Limited Period Vs. 4
1. 80 Yrs In Scope of eternity is nothing
James 4:14-15 (AMP) Yet you do not know [the least thing] about what may happen tomorrow. What is the nature of your life? You are [really] but a wisp of vapor (a puff of smoke, a mist) that is visible for a little while and then disappears [into thin air]. 15 You ought instead to say, If the Lord is willing, we shall live and we shall do this or that [thing].
B. Limited Power Vs. 5
1. If the Truth of Jesus’ words ever grabbed heart
a. John 15:4-8 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can you, except you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples.
4. VANQUISHING OF MY PRIDE Vs 6
A. No More Strutting surely every man walks in vain
1. Idea of a strutting peacock
2. Carly Simon “You’re so vain”
You walked into the party
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror