Summary: The life of Joseph is an example for us to look at, to help us to realize how we can see all of our extraordinary dreams, hopes and desires become a reality.
MY STORY AND MY PASSIONS #4: DREAMS
INTRO TO TOPIC: I’ve been dreaming a lot lately.
Not dreams from the Lord, or about the future, just literal dreams. God spoke through these…
• When I was a kid I had a dream of being a superhero – who didn’t?
• From grade 8-12, I had a dream of becoming a Marine Biologist. I would watch documentaries about sea life, including the old Jacques Cousteau ones. Sharks, manatees, coral reefs. Still dream of diving off the Great Barrier Reef in Australia one day.
• Later in high school, I had a dream of moving to Hollywood and becoming an actor.
o Name change to River, long hair, etc. school plays, Regina Summer Stage, etc.
• But then 27 years ago, Aug. 14, 1989, I met Jesus Christ and everything changed.
• I had a dream to tell other people about Jesus. I went to Bible College in 1992.
• Jesus had made a difference in my life, and I wanted to help broken and hurting people.
• I had a dream to become a youth pastor. VCC for four years. Then I learned more about God’s amazing grace and wanted to share that with others. Moved on to BF for 10 years.
• For the past almost ten years, I have been the pastor of BCC.
• One of my dreams is to write books. I have written two books, Supernatural and The Beausejour Pulpit. I am working on a Christian fiction book, The Voyagers.
• Now I’m looking forward to working with young people as a guidance counsellor and teacher in a Christian high school.
• Sometimes people have one dream and passion they live their whole life: Billy Graham.
• Other times people’s dreams and passions change. What’s your dream? Has it been a while since you last dreamed with God? I want to talk to you about dreams today.
“God is able to do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams].” (Eph. 3:20, Amplified).
• God has placed within our heart hopes and dreams that He wants to fulfill for us!
• What are your hopes and dreams for your life? For your relationships? For your family?
THE BIG IDEA: The life of Joseph is an example for us to look at, to help us to realize how we can see all of our extraordinary dreams, hopes and desires become a reality.
THE STORY OF JOSEPH THE DREAMER:
“1 So Jacob settled again in the land of Canaan, where his father had lived. 2 This is the history of Jacob's family. When Joseph was seventeen years old, he often tended his father's flocks with his half brothers, the sons of his father's wives Bilhah and Zilpah. But Joseph reported to his father some of the bad things his brothers were doing. 3 Now Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children because Joseph had been born to him in his old age. So one day he gave Joseph a special gift – a beautiful robe (or coat of many colors). 4 But his brothers hated Joseph because of their father's partiality. They couldn't say a kind word to him. 5 One night Joseph had a dream and promptly reported the details to his brothers, causing them to hate him even more.” (Genesis 37:1-5).
1. GOD WANTS US TO DREAM BIG DREAMS!
• Joseph was a dreamer (v.5).
• “For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11).
• If you’ve given up on dreams, it’s time to dream again.
• “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but where dreams come true, there is life and joy.” (Proverbs 13:12).
• What dreams, hopes and desires do you have in your heart? (WRITE THEM DOWN!)
• There are many different kinds of hopes, dreams and desires:
o To dream to do great things in the Kingdom of God
o To dream for things for yourself – a business, a husband or wife, children
o To desire or hope for good things – for your relationships, your family
2. TO DREAM BIG DREAMS, WE MUST KNOW THE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE OF GOD.
• Joseph knew he was loved by his father. “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!” (1 John 3:1).
• If we don’t believe God has our best interests at heart, we won’t dream big dreams.
• QUOTE: “There’s One Person above all others who desires an extraordinary life for you. He’s a Father who delights, like any good father, in the achievements and happiness of His children. His name is God!” (John Bevere, Extraordinary).