Summary: If you enter the funnel at the broad end, it keeps narrowing down until you come to death, destruction, and hell.
NARROW, HEAVENLY WAY
He is giving a picture of a funnel. If you enter the funnel at the broad end, it keeps narrowing down until you come to death, destruction, and hell. But you can enter the funnel at the narrow part. That's where Christ is and the longer you walk with Him, the wider it gets. In Ezekiel's prophecy (chapter 47) there was a river flowing out from the throne of God which began as a little stream and widened out until it became a great river. That pictures the life of a child of God - it gets better every day. This is what our Lord was talking about.
I. IT IS THE WAY OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
II Peter 2:21. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
1. We were without a righteousness of our own; Romans 3:10. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
2. We received our righteousness when Christ entered our hearts; I Corinthians 1:30. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
II. IT IS THE WAY OF TRUTH
Psalms 119:30. I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
1. Truth is our protector; Psalms 91:4. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
2. Truth is the basis for our judgment; Psalms 96:13. Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein: then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice before the LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.
III. IT IS THE WAY OF PEACE
Romans 3:17. And the way of peace have they not known:
1. We should always seek peace; Psalm 34:14. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.
2. We receive peace from God; Haggai 2:9. The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the LORD of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, saith the LORD of hosts.
IV. IT IS THE WAY OF UNDERSTANDING
Isaiah 40:14. With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?
1. We were without understanding before we were saved; Romans 1:31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
2. We receive understanding from the Lord; II Timothy 2:7. Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
V. IT IS THE WAY OF HOLINESS
Isaiah 35:8. And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
1. Our holiness comes from Christ; Hebrews 12:10. For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
2. Our service to the Lord is possible because of holiness; Romans 6:20,22. For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
VI. IT IS THE WAY OF ESCAPE
I Corinthians 10:13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
1. We escape from the pollutions of the world; II Peter 2:20. For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2. We escape from hell because we did not neglect the way of escape; Hebrews 2:3. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
VII. IT IS THE WAY OF LIFE
Proverbs 15:24. The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
1. Life comes from God; Ephesians 2:1. And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2. Life's aim is to glorify God; I Corinthians 6:20. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.