Nehemiah ch 6 v 1 - 14
1. Nehemiah's Walk 1 ¶ Now it came to pass, when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies, heard that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though at that time I had not set up the doors upon the gates;)
NEHEMIAH WAS CHALLENGED BY:
1. DERISION… His opposition made fun of him.
2. DISCOURAGEMENT… His own people got discouraged.
3. DREAD… The opposition threatened to attack them.
4. DISCORD… Gossip began circulating among the people.
5. DIVISION… Internal conflict and disagreement arose.
6. DIVERSION… The opposition proposed a peace conference.
7. DEFAMATION… Nehemiah’s name and motive was attacked.
8. DANGER… Nehemiah’s life and project were in jeopardy from assassins.
Yet There was :-
Progress in the Work, Perseverence in the Work, Provocation in the Work
(a) The Source Of The Suggestion v12 And, lo, I perceived that God had not sent him; 2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
(b) The Subtlelty Of The Suggestion v 2 That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief.
(c) The Seriousness Of The Suggestion v 13 Therefore was he hired, that I should be afraid, and do so, and sin, and that they might have matter for an evil report, that they might reproach me. Hunter, Bear,& Fur Coat
Ro 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
2. Nehemiah's Work 3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?
THE GREATNESS OF THE WORK Nehemiah Saw :- (a) The Priority Of The Work Galatians 6:9 v.7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Not Medicine – Law – Politics – or Anything” (b) The Potential Of The Work Romans 1 v 16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Man's Situation ( lost)
Man's Station (They will go to Hell)
Man's Salvation 1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (c) The Pattern Of The Work Heb 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Phil 2 v 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (d) The Prize Of The Work Da 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. Hudson Taylor " If God calls you to be a missionary don't stoop to be a king" (e) The Power Of The Work (God's Work) Philipians 2 v 12 ¶ Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for as much as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.” I Cor. 15:58
3. Nehemiah's Will His Response
3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you? 4 Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner.