Summary: In Colossians chapters 1-2, Paul explains that Jesus has satisfied everything that we need as Christians. He came, He lived, He Died, He arose and He ascended. In chapter 3 Paul begins instructing us as Christians in the basics of our Christian walk.
1. Context: In Colossians chapters 1-2, Paul explains that Jesus has satisfied everything that we need as Christians. He came, He lived, He Died, He arose and He ascended.
Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
2. Beginning in chapter 3 Paul begins instructing us as Christians in the basics of our Christian walk.
3. Today we will talk about how we are to seek heavenly things.
I. FOCUS ON SPIRITUAL THINGS (COL 3:1-4)
A. Set your affections on things above. (Col 3:1-2)
1. When we focus on heavenly things its helps us gain a different perspective of life.
• We start asking questions like WWJD?
• We become more aware that just because we can’t see it doesn’t mean that there isn’t heavenly activity taking place in the unseen realms around us.
2. Jesus sits at the right hand of God. He is positioned in a place of power and authority to intercede on our behalf.
B. How do we realign our focus? Philippians 4:2-9
1. By “Rejoicing in the Lord”. - Philippians 4:4
2. By “Approaching God with Prayer, Supplications and Thanksgiving”. - Philippians 4:6
3. By “Thinking Right”! - Philippians 4:8
4. DO IT! Knowledge is not enough. - Philippians 4:9
II. LIVING “IN” CHRIST (COL 3:3-4)
A. How is this possible? - Romans 6:1-14 - Expound
1. It begins with Salvation.
B. It continues through water baptism.
1. We were crucified with Him. Baptized into His death and raised in the likeness of His resurrection!
Closing - We walk in “Newness of Life”. (hid with Christ in God)
16. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
17. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.