Summary: The reason we do the things we do, is because our desire system is diseased. BUT,.. What if we could have the desires of God?,... Only wanting what He wants,... This sermon talks about how we can have the desires of God, by delighting in Him.
Seeing life through Gods’ perspective!
Have you ever asked yourself this question?
- What makes me do the things that I have always done?
- What created my personality?
- Why do I have a hard time with certain things,… and others are easy?
- Why can’t I do what is right?
- Why do I do what I do?
Have you ever wondered why we enjoy the wrong things?
Here are some good questions...
- Why does the things that are so bad for you taste so good?
- Why can’t the bad things taste bad and the good things taste good?
- Why can’t broccoli taste like pizza?
- And pizza taste like broccoli?
- Why can’t lying on the couch eating chips get you in shape,...and exercising make you fat?
- I would look like Lou Firgno!
Why do I desire the things I desire?
- I used to ask myself would it not be a perfect world if I passionately desired to do the right things!
You are not alone when you ask that question. The apostle Paul had the same question in his heart.
15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate,........ I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who does it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
If it is true that we sometimes do what we really don’t want to do,… there must be something that lies beneath the surface that drives us to do it.
- Some ulterior motive.
- Some hidden drive!
That thing that lies beneath is our desire system!
So the main question is how do I transform my desire system?
- How do I make myself want to do the things that are right and not want to do the things that are not right?
- How do I make a godly nature, my nature?
4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- This means that God will give us desires!
Here are three ways to change your desires!
1. Fall in love with Jesus!
- We desire to please those we love!
- Psalm 40:8 I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."
- Psalms 73:23-25 23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. 24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
- John 14:15 15"If you love me, you will obey what I command.
- Jesus said that obedience is a natural symptom of love!
2. Put God on the first throne of your heart!
- Over your marriage!
- Over your career!
- Over your money!
- Over you!
This is why!.........
Fact #1 We are all slaves to whatever sits in the first throne in our heart.
- Don’t just put God there with your mouth!,... Put Him there with your commitment!
- Don’t just say He is first and then go on with your life.
3. Allow God to transform your perspective!
Fact #2 A Godly perspective is essential for Godly desires!
1Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest 2and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. 3As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" 5"Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. 6"Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." 7The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. 8Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. 9For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything. 10In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!"