Summary: David finally reached the fulfillment of his dreams: placed on the throne of all Israel. Was all well? No, here came the Philistines! New level, new devil. 3 anointings helped David break the power of 400 years of Philistine domination over Israel.
“NEW LEVEL, NEW DEVIL”
2 Sam. 5:17-21
A. HUMOR: THE DIOR DRESS
1. One day, just as Rebecca was walking past Saks 5th Avenue she saw them putting a new dress in their window. It was a pale green Dior evening dress and she was totally entranced by this brilliant creation.
2. But it was priced at $3,500 and she had to think of a way to persuade her husband Patrick to buy it for her. Then she had an idea. She couldn’t wait to get home.
3. "Patrick, darling?" "Yes, what is it Rebecca?"
"Last night I had a lovely dream" she said. "I dreamed that we passed by Saks 5th Avenue and in the window was this gorgeous Dior dress at only $3,500. And do you know what you did?"
4."What did I do?" he asked. "You went into the store and bought it for me, darling."
5. "Did I really?" Patrick said, "That really WAS a wonderful dream. I hope that from now on you’ll get to wear it in all your dreams!”
“But when the Philistines heard that they had anointed David king over Israel, all the Philistines came up to seek David; and David heard of it, and went down to the hold. The Philistines also came and spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim. And David inquired of the LORD, saying, “Shall I go up to [“attack,” NIV] the Philistines? Will You deliver them into my hand?” And the LORD said to David, “Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into your hand.” And David came to Baalperazim, and David smote them there, and said, “The LORD has broken forth upon mine enemies before me, as the breach of waters. Therefore he called the name of that place Baalperazim.” And there they left their images, and David and his men burned them.” 2 Sam. 5:17-21.
1. After 15 years of trouble and perseverance, David finally reaches the fulfillment of his dreams, the place he’s going to enjoy. He’s finally been anointed the king of all Israel and placed on the throne.
2. All is well, right? No! David has stepped up to a new level, but now faces a new devil. Taking spiritual turf always results in challenges.
3. We’re going to look at what it means to go up to a higher level, see the 3 anointings David received to go to another level, and see the culmination of God’s design for his life – the deliverance of his whole nation from oppression.
4. This message is entitled “New Level, New Devil.”
I. GOING TO A HIGHER LEVEL
A. WHAT IS “GOING TO A HIGHER LEVEL?”
“Going to a higher level” means that:
1. We recognize that we haven’t achieved perfection, but have room to grow.
2. It means that we refuse to be satisfied with where we are, but are taking action to improve ourselves.
3. It may be a higher level of obedience, of faith, of Holy Spirit empowering, of outreach to the lost, of walking with God in relationship, of attempting to master God’s Word, of ‘getting on fire,’ or of having a heart like David/Christ.
B. WHY SEEK TO GO TO A HIGHER LEVEL?
1. IT’S GOD’S WILL. David sought a new level because it was God’s will. Our growth & perfection is God’s will: Paul said, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Phip. 3:12.
2. TO DO A GREATER WORK. God had a greater work for David. God wants us to affect more people for Christ. As we obey God, the anointing on our lives will get stronger (Acts 5:32). Eph. 5:18, “Be filled with the Spirit.”
HUMOR. Many of us are like the guy who went fishing and caught nothing, so he went to the fish store. He told the attendant, “Throw me ten fish so I can tell my wife I caught them!” Don’t pretend; let’s do a greater work!
3. We should grow up in our RESPONSIBILITY – Heb. 5:12. John 17:4, "I have glorified Your Name on the Earth by completing the work You gave Me to do." I want to be able to say that. Paul said, "That I may finish my course with joy." We all have a destiny and a destination.
4. FULFILL YOUR PURPOSE. Eph. 5:15-17, Amplified Version; "Live purposefully... Therefore do not be vague or thoughtless or... but understand what the will of the Lord is." How can you believe God if you haven't even made up your own mind what you want to do? We must have a purpose and goals.
5. The devil will pull out all the stops to keep us from going on with God. The devil wants to keep us in a wimpy, lukewarm, lazy zone where we have no purpose or effect.