Summary: If we walk in newness of life here, we will walk the streets of a new heaven and a new earth in eternity.
Newness of Life
Text: Romans 6:3-4
Romans 6:3-4 ( NASB ) Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
To walk in newness of life requires we have:
I. A New Self
A. Ephesians 4:22-24 "... in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth."
1. Colossians 3:8-11 "But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him
2. Old self: corrupted by the deceit of the world, practiced evil, full of anger, malice, and hate
a. Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
3. The new self in the likeness of God is created in the righteousness and truth of Jesus and will reflect:
II. A New Mind
A. Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
1. Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
a. A mind set on the priorities of God not of man.
2. Romans 8:6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
a. A mind with an attitude of humble service (Philippians 2:3-7)
III. A New Heart!
A. Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
1. Colossians 3:12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.
IV. A New Spirit
1. Galatians 5:22-25 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
Romans 6:8-11 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
If we walk in newness of life here, we will walk the streets of a new heaven and a new earth in eternity.