Summary: This is a "State of the Church" address encouraging listeners to attend church often and be a "culture carrier."
* 2007 has been an event-filled year
* Technology continues to improve -- with the iphone
* Home foreclosures are at an all time high
* Global warming has gotten more attention
o As Al Gore got his place in the spotlight again
* Problems in the middle east continue to cause stress & unrest
* Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton prove fame and fortune don't equal peace and happiness
* Gas prices hit an all-time high
* Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's all time home run record
* While we've heard more about steroids than we would ever want to know
* We've seen referees, coaches and athletes caught cheating
* Again, we've witnessed shootings in malls and campuses.
* Some high profile Christians died - like
o James Kennedy
o Rex Humbard
o Jerry Falwell
o Ruth Bell Graham
o Tammy Faye Bakker
* And the Hubbard's moved to Washington
* But that was then and this is now
As we enter the year 2008
-I want it to be the "BEST ONE EVER"
-If it's going to be
* We must Get Into The Zone
-When you are in the Zone
...you're hitting on all cylinders
...The zone is where you're at your best
-Being IN The Zone generates positive momentum
-It happens on the:
-The Zone is what you're focused in
-You're scoring points
-Life is at its BEST!
-The opposite is also true
When you are NOT In The Zone
It seems everything goes wrong.
Vision is blurred
Life is a chore
No fruit -- No success
-I want us as a church to Get In The Zone!
-2 Primary ways:
1) Be a Culture Carrier
1. Forward Thinking
2. Supernatural Without Weirdness
4. Acceptance/Not Always Agreement
7. Increase With Integrity
8. Generationally Minded
9. Identifiable Leadership
11. The Method Isn't Sacred/The Message Is
2) Throw away ALL excuses
TEXT: Luke 14:16-22
16. Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, `Come, for everything is now ready.' 18. "But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, `I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.' 19. "Another said, `I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.' 20. "Still another said, `I just got married, so I can't come.' 21. "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, `Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.' 22. "`Sir,' the servant said, `what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.'
An Insurance company published a list of the most abused excuses used in reporting auto accidents...
1. An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car, and vanished.