Summary: Description of the animals and types seen in some of Noah’s story.
Noah and the Animals
Intro. The story of Noah has long been debated. "Could a flood have covered the whole earth" people ask. But, that is not the question we have at hand today.
Core: Our question is did Noah take baby animals into the Ark? Were they young animals or mature older animals? The word of God is not specific.
Body I. We have in Genesis 6:14 the command to build the Ark.
A. God gives Noah the dimensions in verse 15.
1. The Ark was a major building project; a cubit equals 18".
2. The Ark was 450 feet in length.
3. It was 75 feet wide.
4. 45 feet high.
B. God told Noah to put a window in the top.
1. The dimensions for the window are given in verse 16.
2. It was on cubit or 18" square.
C. And in verse 16 God told him to put a door.
1. But notice God did not give him dimensions for the door.
2. He just said put a door in the side.
3. This door was wide enough for all.
4. And high enough for all.
D. The Lord did not supply the dimension of the door for a reason.
1. It was as wide as God’s provision.
2. Wide enough to let the widest animal through.
3. Tall enough for the tallest.
4. It is therefore, the whosoever door.
II. The door of the Ark speaks of course of Christ
A. Christ said in John 10:9, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
1. All who entered in by the door of the Ark were saved.
2. Every human,
3. Every bird and animal,
4. Every creeping thing.
B. Jesus is the only door into the Ark of salvation.
1. He is not one of several doors.
2. And there is no other way to God but through Him. John 14:6,"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
3. Notice that this door was in the side of the Ark.
4. It reminds us of the open side of Adam, when God removed the rib and the spear thrust into the side of our Lord while he hung upon the cross.
C. The details of the inside of the Ark are also given.
1. In Genesis 6:16 God told Noah to put 3 stories into the Ark.
2. Lower, second and third levels.
3. This means the animals were separated by clean and unclean.
4. Man held the upper level.
III. But this also shows us Our Lord Jesus.
A. He was perfect,
3. And had a soul.
4. It also shows us the make of this universe,
a. first heaven (lower)
b. second heaven (space)
c. third heaven (God’s abode)
B. The threefold salvation Christ provides is seen here,
1. We are spiritually saved,
2. Our soul is saved and,
3. Eventually we are to have a new body.
C. Notice also that there are no babies born on the Ark.
1. There is no record of any babies being born while the flood was occurring.
2. The animals went in two by two (with the exception of the clean, as they went in sevens, two by two), both male and female.
3. Noah and his wife.
4. Noah’s three sons and there wives.
D. The sons of Noah didn’t have children either.
1. For one whole year no birth took place.
2. No production no increase.
3. The lesson is clear; the entrance into the Ark was a personal decision for each one.
4. The parents cannot decide for the children.
E. Since Christ is the Ark of salvation, we learn we cannot be saved by any other means.
1. There were eight adult humans that entered into the Ark.
2. They entered because they believed God’s word and acted in faith.
3. No one entered the Ark by being born into it.
4. No one can be saved by being born into a Christian family it takes a commitment on your own part.
IV. God evidently stopped the natural propagation of birth while all were on the Ark.
A. This is not a sign that baby animals were on the Ark.
1. Noah’s sons and their wives were quiet mature adults.
2. Therefore, we cannot conclude that baby animals entered the Ark.
B. I believe quiet the opposite is seen.
1. If fully adult humans entered the Ark,
2. Then fully adult animals must have entered into that Ark.
3. Because the Ark is a type of Christ.
4. All who enter into faith in Christ have reached the age of accountability.