Summary: What We Know About Noah
A. WHAT WE KNOW FOR SURE
Grandfather – Noah –Sinned
Father – Ham – Gossiped
Grandson – Canaan – laughed
“And Noah began to be a farmer, and he planted a vineyard. Then he drank of the wine and was drunk, and became uncovered in his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and went backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness. So Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him. Then he said: ‘Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants He shall be to his brethren’” (Gen. 9:20-25).
1. Godly. What is known about Noah? “Noah was a just man and perfect . . . and Noah walked with God” (Gen. 6:9).
2. Warned of judgment. Why did Noah build an ark? “By faith Noah being divinely warned of things not yet seen moved with godly fear, prepared an ark . . . by which he condemned the world” (Heb. 11:7).
3. Carpenter. What was Noah’s occupation? “God said to Noah . . . make yourself an ark of gopher wood” (Gen. 6:14).
4. Preacher. How did Noah warn the world? “Noah . . . a preacher of righteousness” (II Peter 2:5).
5. Drinking. What sins did Jesus mention Noah preached against?” As the days of Noah were, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man . . . drinking . . . until the day Noah entered the ark” (Matt. 24:37-38).
6. Satan worship. What were other sins the people committed? (Gen. 6:1-13).
7. God called. When did Noah enter the ark? “The Lord said to Noah, ‘Come thou and all thy house into the ark’” (Gen. 7:1). He was 600 years old (Gen. 8:13).
8. A farmer. What was Noah’s new occupation after the flood? “Noah began to be a husbandman, and planted a vineyard” (9:20).
9. What was Noah’s threefold sin? “He (Noah) drank of the wine, and was drunken, and he was uncovered within the tent” (Gen. 9:21).
a. Drunken. He preached against it.
b. Exposure. He uncovered himself, i.e., gulah (reflective)
c. Lack of role model.
10. How did Noah know? “Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him” (9:24).
a. Special revelation.
b. Inquiry. He asked or was told.
c. Memory. A drunk man remembers some things.
B. WHAT WAS THE SIN OF HAM AND CANAAN?
1. Seeing only. “Ham, the father of Canaan saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren” (Gen. 9:22). What went with seeing?
c. Rejection of father’s authority to His God. (Morris)
d. Not covering, i.e., showing disrespect.
2. Not seeing. “Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; . . . . and saw not their father’s nakedness” (Gen. 9:23).
3. Why curse Canaan?