Summary: Noah (You leave me no choice part 1) - Genesis chapters 5 to 6 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter 5: Just a list of names?
• 2 men who followed
• 3 recurring Words.
Chapter 6: Just waiting to happen!
• The fact of the flood.
• The purpose of the flood
• The grace of God
• As you are sitting on two sides of the room;
• Let’s have a game of word tennis.
• I will ask a question and somebody on your side must answer;
• The question then goes to the other side who will answer/hit it back.
• We will see who gets the point and who loses.
• Obviously you cannot repeat an answer;
• And I am looking for British Prime Ministers.
• So can this side start me off?
• TRANSITION: One name that never comes up is that of Herbert Asquith.
• He served as the Liberal Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916
• He once spent a weekend at the Waddesdon;
• Which is the estate of the 19th-century wealthy Rothschild family.
• As Asquith was being waited on at teatime by the butler,
• The following conversation ensued:
• "Tea, coffee, or a peach from off the wall, sir?"
• "Tea, please," answered Asquith.
• "China, India, or Ceylon, sir?" asked the butler.
• "China, please." answered Asquith.
• "Lemon, milk, or cream, sir?"
• "Milk, please," replied Asquith.
• "Jersey, Hereford, or Shorthorn, sir?" asked the butler.
• TRANSITION: sometime the choices we make are trivial!
• But at other times they are important,
• There will be people in hospitals this day,
• And the choices they make will result in life or death!
The subject I have been asked to speak on is Noah (You leave me no choice):
• And as surely as eggs are eggs;
• The human race gave God no choice;
• Concerning the action he took in Genesis chapters 6-9.
• Now before we come to the sad and bad news of chapter 6;
• Let’s scan through chapter 5 and see what led God to this decision.
Chapter 5: Just a List of Names?
• Chapter 5 is a list of names.
• And you might be thinking we have enough names of our own.
• The top5 UK boys' names for 2016 were:
• The top 5 UK girls' names for 2016 were:
• TRANSITION: on first reading chapter 5 is a list of names.
• And it might seem as interesting as reading a telephone directory.
• But it is not just a list of names it is a genealogy.
(1). 2 Men Who Followed.
• We have listed here ten men
• The list starts with Adam and ends with Noah.
• Now without looking at your Bibles;
• Question: Can you remember any of the other 8 men mentioned?
• (Adam), Seth, Enosh, Kenan, Mahalalel, Jared, Enoch, Methuseleh, Lamech (Noah)
• It is more than a list of names;
• Because it is a record of ten men and in particular two men who lived by faith;
• In a time of increasing unbelief and widespread wickedness.
• These two men in particular stand before us as giants of the faith,
• Men who refused to follow the prevailing cultural trends of their day.
• In a world were men are pursuing all kinds of evil,
• These men followed the way of the Lord.
• Years ago you used to see a T-shirt sold in Christian bookshops.