Summary: There are many things about being a Christian that have been misunderstood, misquoted, and have misled people. Perhaps one of the greatest misunderstandings is the subject of faith.
NONE BUT JESUS
There are many things about being a Christian that have been misunderstood, misquoted, and have misled people. Perhaps one of the greatest misunderstandings is the subject of faith.
Many see faith as a mystery, but this is due to the darkness of this world. Our eyes can become dim and we may not see the Light of the Gospel of Christ.
Text: John 3:18 – 21
Question: - How can we better understand our faith in God?
Answer: If we are to understand faith, Christ will be our only answer.
I. Jesus is - The Reason for Faith
A. A sinner cannot clearly see what he/she should be looking for.
1. Misunderstanding – (Seeking God as the Father should not be the first step for a sinner.) Sinners see it this way:
a) God is love
b) God is kind and good
c) God would never allow me to spend an eternity in a devil’s hell
d) “After all, I would believe in Jesus and go to church if I was sure that I was going to heaven.”
e) “Also, what about the other religions that claim to know who God is?”
2. Misunderstanding – (Seeking the Holy Spirit should not be the first step for a sinner.) Sinners see it this way:
a) “I want to feel spiritual first… Convince me with a sign or a miracle first. Then I will consider becoming a Christian.” (This is why many people look for a “feel good” kind of church to attend.)
b) “Feelings” alone will not make your faith become strong.
c) “Feelings” will never be more important than having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
d) Seeking your own spiritual life with the Holy Spirit can only take place after you are saved from your sins.
Transition: These two misunderstandings will cloud our thinking and interfere with us surrendering our lives to Jesus Christ. So – here is what we need:
3. The Correct Understanding - is to seek Jesus and make Him your first priority over everything and everyone else.
a) The Trinity of God depends on the salvation of the sinner (through Christ) to take place first.
B. A sinner must clearly see Jesus for Who He is.
1. Jesus was the “Infinite One” Who became the infant in Bethelem.
2. Jesus was the “Eternal One” Who became a mortal man.
3. Jesus was the “King of Kings” Who became a servant to mankind.
4. Jesus lived a perfect and righteous life here on Earth.
a) He kept the Laws and the Commandments of God holy and pure.
b) He obeyed His Father
c) He preserved His position as the Son of God, Second Person in the Trinity
C. Without Christ, we must see what a sinner is.
1. (Without Christ) You and I would be unable to live a perfect or righteous life.
2. As a sinner:
a) We would not be able to keep the Laws or the Commandments of God
b) We are not able to do anything on our own to save ourselves.
c) We did not have any faith to offer Christ.
d) There would be nothing good in us.
Transition: God is just and He must punish for every sin. So - How is it that we can we escape the judgment of God for our sins? Jesus took all of our sins with Him to the Cross of Calvary.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;