Summary: If the foundation for Revival is the word of God, then the flooring is passionate worship.
O WORSHIP THE KING
The Revival of Hezekiah - 2 Chr.28-30
1. Revival foundation - Bible - Flooring is a return to Passionate Worship
2. Ongoing debate in our fellowship concerning those dubbed “patternists” (insistence on the five acts of worship) and “passionists” (not concerned with organization as much as feeling) - Yet the call of true New Testament Revival is to put the passion back in the pattern. There is no substitute for the five acts of worship, but we must remember that they are just that - ACTS. Each of the five are designed to be lifted up to God with passion and praise. What could be more passionate than a true memorial Lord’s Supper, heart-felt singing, fervent praying, generation giving and the bold / loving proclaiming of God’s word.
3. And each of those thing must transcend – they have an effect “out there” as much as “in here.” (Romans 12:1)
4. This morning - O Worship the King - Revival of Hez. - Review of Text
State of Israel upon Hezekiah’s rise to power (28:25)
We will see as we move further in the lesson that Hezekiah had
1. A DETERMINATION TO SEEK GOD
2. A DESIRE TO SEE GOD
3. A DESPERATION TO SHOW GOD
4. A DEDICATION TO SERVE GOD
5. These attributes brought revival to a land that was far from God
I. REVIVAL IS THE REALIZATION THAT THE TEMPLE MUST BE PURIFIED
A DETERMINATION TO SEEK GOD (29:3-6,15-19)
A. Hezekiah recognized that the first step in seeking God was the repairing of the temple. The carrying out of the rubbish!
B. 1 Cor 3:16 17 - Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
C. We are the N.T. Temple - revival calls for us to do two thing sbefore we can have passionate, heartfelt worship
1. Repair - broken lives, homes “be holy”
a. Can’t be holy Sunday AM - and not the other 167
2. Discard - Paul “Put to death”
a. Teens – what they didn’t understand
D. Only when we cleanse the temple, can we be ready for worship - can we be ready to seek God
II. REVIVAL IS MAKING PASSIONATE WORSHIP TOP PRIORITY
A DESIRE TO SEE GOD (29:20-30)
A. Rose early - should I even go here?
1. Late, can’t sit though a whole service, fidgety at 5 after, Football game, fishing trip, vacation (not from worship)
a. Golfer who was twenty minutes late at the first tee one Sunday morning, and the other three members of the regular four some were almost ready to drive off without him. "I agreed with my wife," explained Jones, "that this Sunday I’d toss a coin to see whether I played golf or went to church. Heads, I played golf. Tails, I went to church. And you know fellows, I had to toss that coin forty three times before it came up heads."
B. Gathered the rulers of the city - show importance to others
C. Worship requires effort - sacrifices
D. Worship requires reverence - knelt - “don’t want to look denom.”
E. Proper worship holds with it a desire to See God - Requires passion
III. REVIVAL IS THE CHURCH’S EXPRESSION OF GOD-GIVEN UNITY
A DESPERATION TO SHOW GOD (29:36-30:1)
A. Hezekiah wanted Unity among God’s people - Because he saw God was able to bring it (notice 36 - God did it)
B. And when God accomplishes unity - it shows God
C. People don’t come to God because of confusion and division
1. John 13:34 35 - "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
2. True God given unity shows God - win people to Him
D. Remember the Titans - There unity, unified a town -
1. There unity - football - our unity something much more powerful - God’s word - Unity will show God and spread God
IV. REVIVAL IS THE RESTORATION OF FAITHFUL WORSHIP
A DEDICATION TO SERVE GOD (30:2-5)
A. Passover had not been kept - was so dedicated to keeping it did not want to wait
1. “I can’t wait for worship”
Truett Cathy, founder or Chick-fil-A shows he is dedicated to serving God through worship. Since 1948 he has lost millions of dollars because he will not have the restaurants open on Sunday. He has cared for children by developing the foster home system called WinShape Homes. His favorite truisms is "It’’s easier to build boys and girls than to mend men and women." He is a man with a purpose to serve God. Woody Faulk, an orphan who Mr Cathy put to work, and is now a vice president of the firm says everyone knows that Mr Cathy personifies James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."