Summary: How to receive power from God and allow His Spirit to work through us
OBTAINING THE DOUBLE PORTION
1. And it came to pass, when the Lord was about to take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.
2. Then Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to Bethel.’’ And Elisha said, "As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!’’ So they went down to Bethel.
3. And the sons of the prophets who were at Bethel came out to Elisha, and said to him, "Do you know that the Lord will take away your master from over you today?’’ And he said, "Yes, I know; keep silent!’’
4. Then Elijah said to him, "Elisha, stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to Jericho.’’ And he said, "As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!’’ So they came to Jericho.
5. And the sons of the prophets who were at Jericho came to Elisha and said to him, "Do you know that the Lord will take away your master from over you today?’’ So he answered, "Yes, I know; keep silent!’’
6. Then Elijah said to him, "Stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to the Jordan.’’ And he said, "As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!’’ So the two of them went on.
7. And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went and stood facing them at a distance, while the two of them stood by the Jordan.
8. Now Elijah took his mantle, rolled it up, and struck the water; and it was divided this way and that, so that the two of them crossed over on dry ground.
9. And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?’’ And Elisha said, "Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.’’
10. So he said, "You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.’’
11. Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
12. Now Elisha saw it, and he cried out, "My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!’’ So he saw him no more. And he took hold of his own clothes and tore them into two pieces.
13. He also took up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood by the bank of the Jordan.
14. Then he took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, and said, "Where is the Lord God of Elijah?’’ And when he also had struck the water, it was divided this way and that; and Elisha crossed over.
This passage records the home going of one of the greatest men in the word of God. Elijah was greatly used of the Lord in his generation, but his time on the earth came to an end. The day came when it was time to pass the baton to a new generation. Our text tells us about a young man named Elisha. He was a man hungry for all God could give him. He wanted the Lord and His power in his life and he was willing to pay the price to get it.
This passage tells us what it took for Elisha to obtain the double portion he asked for. What we learn here from him is valuable in our own lives as well. Like it did for Elisha, the mantle of ministry in these days rests upon you and me. If we are going to be as effect as we should be for the glory of the Lord, then we too need the power of God’s Spirit. This passage tells us how to go about getting the power of God on our lives. Let’s look into these verses together this morning as I preach about Obtaining The Double Portion.
I. V. 9-10 ELISHA MADE A SPIRITUAL REQUEST
A. V. 9 The Content Of His Request - Elisha asked to receive double portion of Elijah’s spirit! The request was not for twice the power that had rested on Elijah. The request was to be recognized as Elijah’s replacement. Of course, he had already been selected by God for that position.
- 1 Kings 19:15, 16—
15. Then the Lord said to him: "Go, return on your way to the Wilderness of Damascus; and when you arrive, anoint Hazael as king over Syria.