Summary: Everyone has a destiny to fulfill in Christ, but not everyone fulfills their destiny.
Title: Obtaining Your Destiny
Text: I Samuel 16:13
Intro: Everyone has a destiny to fulfill in Christ, but not everyone fulfills their destiny. You have a God directed purpose in life are you fulfilling it, or are you satisfied back at the camp.
David was destined to be King but there was a giant that stood in the way of him reaching his destiny. David had a choice to make, either run away or believe God for a victory. He was not facing Goliath with only a sling but he was marching into this battle to obtain his destiny with the power of almighty God.
I. Facing Giants - I Samuel 17:2-11
1. Many people allow obstacles to keep them from reaching their destiny
- “It’s to hard”
- “We are not suppose to struggle
- “What happens if we get hurt”
2. It is not called Spiritual Warfare because it is easy
- There will be battles
- There will be challenges
- There will be giants
- Times you feel alone
- Times you will be attacked
- Times that you may face betrayal
3. The Giant VERSE 4-11
- His Armor was the best
- His size was enormous
- His ability was unmatched “The Champion”
- His show of strength for forty days was that of Intimidation
• Satan still uses this intimidation tactic
Your not going to make it
• The intimidation is to scare you from every attempting to obtain your destiny
• But God says:
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
• Satan brings fear to attack our faith
Giant of sickness
Giant of financial loss
Giant of worry
Giant of depression/discouragement/doubt/
• If He can get our attention on the enormity of the challenge then fear and intimidation will be successful
4. The Men
- Not some puny little limp wristed pansies
- These were warriors
- Men proven in battle
- Men that had fought and taken the lives of their enemy before
- They were the Hero’s of the day
- But they had not fulfilled their destiny
• They would line up for battle/ start out to the valley/ see Golaith/ Hear his challenge/ Run and hide in the rocks
• This was not God’s destiny for the Army of Israel
• I believe God possibly tried to deal with some of their hearts before David showed up.
• They were unable to get the prospective that David had
- What was their problem?
- They were waiting on God to bail them out
• Satan will place obstacles of fear in front of us so that we will question our faith/ power/ and direction that we have from God
• It is easy to walk an effortless life in Christ, with no Obstacles to encounter.
Oh Lord this problem is to big for me you handle it
God I would just assume to avoid this battle
You go ahead and remove it for me
• The battles are where we grain power, strength, and faith.
• God said:
Hebrews 13:5 for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Not that he would exempt us from the battles of life
Many would rather hang out back at the camp
“We don’t want a prayer life, we just want to be healed”
“We don’t want to fight, we just want to enjoy the victory”
“We don’t want to enter the battle, we just want to come to church once a week and feel the o.k.”
• God allows Giants in the path of our destiny so that we can see the depth of our faith and commitment to Him
• God has called you to face your giants, but not in your own abilities but in His power
• God says:
Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
• He will not fight the battle for us, but will fight the battle with us.
Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
• If God is fighting with us victory is already determined
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;
5. The Giant Killer
- God takes nobodies and makes them somebody’s
- David’s Big Brothers were the hero’s
- David was just a shepherd on the back side of a hill some where
- His own father forgot him.
• Samuel comes to anoint a King for Israel