Summary: Everyone has a destiny to fulfill in Christ, but not everyone fulfills their destiny.
Title: Obtaining Your Destiny
Text: I Samuel 16:13
Intro: Everyone has a destiny to fulfill in Christ, but not everyone fulfills their destiny. You have a God directed purpose in life are you fulfilling it, or are you satisfied back at the camp.
David was destined to be King but there was a giant that stood in the way of him reaching his destiny. David had a choice to make, either run away or believe God for a victory. He was not facing Goliath with only a sling but he was marching into this battle to obtain his destiny with the power of almighty God.
I. Facing Giants - I Samuel 17:2-11
1. Many people allow obstacles to keep them from reaching their destiny
- “It’s to hard”
- “We are not suppose to struggle
- “What happens if we get hurt”
2. It is not called Spiritual Warfare because it is easy
- There will be battles
- There will be challenges
- There will be giants
- Times you feel alone
- Times you will be attacked
- Times that you may face betrayal
3. The Giant VERSE 4-11
- His Armor was the best
- His size was enormous
- His ability was unmatched “The Champion”
- His show of strength for forty days was that of Intimidation
• Satan still uses this intimidation tactic
Your not going to make it
• The intimidation is to scare you from every attempting to obtain your destiny
• But God says:
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
• Satan brings fear to attack our faith
Giant of sickness
Giant of financial loss
Giant of worry
Giant of depression/discouragement/doubt/
• If He can get our attention on the enormity of the challenge then fear and intimidation will be successful
4. The Men
- Not some puny little limp wristed pansies
- These were warriors
- Men proven in battle
- Men that had fought and taken the lives of their enemy before
- They were the Hero’s of the day
- But they had not fulfilled their destiny
• They would line up for battle/ start out to the valley/ see Golaith/ Hear his challenge/ Run and hide in the rocks
• This was not God’s destiny for the Army of Israel
• I believe God possibly tried to deal with some of their hearts before David showed up.
• They were unable to get the prospective that David had
- What was their problem?
- They were waiting on God to bail them out
• Satan will place obstacles of fear in front of us so that we will question our faith/ power/ and direction that we have from God
• It is easy to walk an effortless life in Christ, with no Obstacles to encounter.
Oh Lord this problem is to big for me you handle it
God I would just assume to avoid this battle
You go ahead and remove it for me
• The battles are where we grain power, strength, and faith.
• God said:
Hebrews 13:5 for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Not that he would exempt us from the battles of life
Many would rather hang out back at the camp
“We don’t want a prayer life, we just want to be healed”