Summary: We can get close to a miracle and never experience it.We have to press-in in prayer to Jesus and get so close that we cross over the threshold of the miraculous. Jonathan did that in his battle with the Philistines. Read on.
ON THE THRESHOLD
OF THE SUPERNATURAL
1 Sam. 14:6-15,23
A. HUMOR: BOUDREAUX DUMPING TRASH
1. Boudreaux pulled over on the side of the highway and was dumping his trash beside the road.
2. A policeman spotted him, turned around, got out and walked up to him. “Boudreaux, what do you think you’re doing?”
3. Boudreaux said, “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m dumping my trash!” The policeman said, “You can’t dump your trash on the side of the highway! Can’t you see that sign right there?”
4. “Yeah, I see it. It says, ‘Fine For Dumping: $100.’ So here’s my trash, so where’s my $100?”
B. HAVING FAITH FOR A CAUSE
1. Let the name of Jesus be glorified and hell horrified.
2. People of my generation have quit dreaming. They think they've seen it all and experienced it all and their level of expectation has plummeted to an all-time low. They think they know all there is to be understood about life and they’ve lost their vision.
3. So I find I need to get around some hungry people, some excited people, some desperate people -- people with plans, dreams and visions. People with hope, for “Faith is the substance of things hoped for...”
4. If you’re not hoping for anything, then you don't need any faith. My God is an active God, a powerful God, an expressive God. God spoke to me, "Do you know why people aren't as loving as they used to be? Let me tell you why: you don't need to fuel a car if it's parked.”
5. Luke 4:18 says, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me BECAUSE...". The Spirit only comes on you if you have a CAUSE. “Preach, heal, give sight to the blind, set people free.”
6. Revivals used to go 30 days. Then they got down to two
weeks. Then one week. Now we're down to three days and people pick which day they’re going to come. And you wonder why we don't have any power!
7. We've parked our faith! Now we have to have gimmicks to get people to come to church. Where’s your passion? Where’s your love for Jesus?
8. Let’s read about a man who discovered the flashpoint with God.
6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.” 7“Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.” 8 Jonathan said, “Come, then; we will cross over toward the men and let them see us. 9 If they say to us, ‘Wait there until we come to you,’ we will stay where we are and not go up to them. 10 But if they say, ‘Come up to us,’ we will climb up, because that will be our sign that the LORD has given them into our hands.” 11 So both of them showed themselves to the Philistine outpost. “Look!” said the Philistines. “The Hebrews are crawling out of the holes they were hiding in.” 12 The men of the outpost shouted to Jonathan and his armor-bearer, “Come up to us and we’ll teach you a lesson.” So Jonathan said to his armor-bearer, “Climb up after me; the LORD has given them into the hand of Israel.” 13 Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him. 14 In that first attack Jonathan and his armor-bearer killed some twenty men in an area of about half an acre. 15 Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God.
23 So the LORD rescued Israel that day, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven. 1 Sam. 14:6-15,23.
1. We need a vision of the needs around us and a bigger vision of God – a vision that moves us to action.
2. Jesus said, "These things and greater things shall you
do, because I go to the Father" John 12:14.
3. The title to the message this morning is, “On the Threshold of the Supernatural.”
I. THE EFFECTS OF SIN
A. SIN DIMINISHES YOU
1. Notice the pitiful situation. Here’s a nation with
2 ½ million people who defeated many nations. But the King can only rally 600 soldiers to fight against a potent foe.
2. It wasn’t all Saul; other men should have been standing up & joining forces! Sin weakened and brought them low.
B. SIN STEALS YOUR PROSPERITY