Summary: This is a sobering message about the church’s responsibility and understanding of God’s blessings on America.
One Nation Under ____________?
* In 1954, the United States was consumed with Cold War fears of a rising ’godless-communist’ threat. Responding to this threat, Congress gave a ’nod to God’ by placing the two words, “Under God” in the “Pledge to the Flag.” When President Eisenhower sign the act he announced that, “From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our Nation and our people to the Almighty.” Little did he know that 38 years later the Supreme Court would rule that these two words were unconstitutional? This is why we see a ’blank’ in the title of this message. There is no doubt we are “One Nation Under” SOMETHING, but what is it?
* The question today is this, “Are we truly a nation UNDER GOD?” Truly, God is the Supreme Judge, the overseer of life, and the creator of all we know, but, as a nation, do we give Him the allegiance and deference of days past?
* Turn with me to our text and let’s hear the words of the Psalmist. (Read) From our text, I offer you four thoughts to check and see if, in this 21st century, we are indeed a “Nation Under God.”
1. The Start of this Country – Let’s revisit verses 10-12. Upon reading these verses, I see a picture of the discovery of the New World and the development of this New Country. Any honest reading of American history will reveal the the peoples and nations of the known world were NOT in favor of the start of a new, independent nation. In fact, so strong was the opposition that of the 56 brave men who signed the DOI, 5 were captured and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes burned. Two lost their sons in the war and one had two sons captured. Nine fought and died from wounds or the hardships of war. Three others, who were wealthy, lost everything they had and died in poverty. The start of this nation was costly because it was opposed by peoples & nations.
==> However, the counsel of the Lord stands for ever. You’ve heard the story about the debate and almost deadlock of the Continental Congress. A man who is not known as a follower Christ stood and said, “Gentleman, if it is true that not one single petal from any flower falls to the ground without escaping God’s attention, will the distress of this nation go unheeded? Let us therefore determine to seek His face.” At these words all the participant are reported to have went to their knees as one.
==> As an aside, can you imagine the difference in our nation is the judges, the congressmen, and the president would earnestly go to their knees and ask, “God, what do you want for & from this nation?”
==> While we are playing the ’Can you Imagine’ game? Can You Imagine:
* The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court saying, “Divine Providence (that would be God) has given to our people the choice of their rulers, it is our duty to select Christians for their rulers. (John Jay)
* State Legislatures passing a law requiring all elected officials to take this oath, “I do profess faith in God the Father & in the Lord Jesus Christ His only Son. I do acknowledge the Holy Scripture (Old & New Testament) to be given by Divine Inspiration.” (Delaware)