Summary: We make many resolutions we do not keep, here is one we might want to make and keep!
• SLIDE #1
• The ushering in of the New Year causes us to have to make some real decisions.
• SLIDE #2- CAT
• The New Year ushers in new hope, so much so that we make this awesome New Year’s resolutions.
• From the web site Statistic Brain I learned some interesting facts concerning New Year’s resolutions. This comes from a 12/13/2012 Study from the University of Scranton. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
• Percent of Americans who USUALLY make a resolution- 45%
• Percent of Americans who INFREQUENTLY make a New Year’s resolution- 17%
• Percent of Americans who ABSOLUTELY NEVER make a New Year’s resolution- 38%
• Percent who are successful in achieving their resolution- 8%
• Percent who have INFREQUENT success- 49%
• Percent who NEVER succeed and fail (CRASH and BURN) on their resolution- 24%
• The top 10 resolutions for 2012 were starting with #10- Spend more time with family, 9-Fall in love; 8-Help others in THEIR dreams; 7-Quit Smoking (I WILL DO THIS ONE );6- learn something exciting; 5-Staying Fit and Healthy;4-Enjoy life to the fullest; 3- Spend less, save more; 2- Getting organized; #1 LOSE WEIGHT!
• I would like to offer some other resolutions that are not on this list that I found.
• I will no longer waste my time relieving the past; instead I will spend it worrying about the future.
• I will do less laundry and use more deodorant.
• I will read the manual... just as soon as I can find it.
• I will lose weight by hiding it somewhere you'll never find it.
• I will start smoking to lose weight.
• I will stop buttering my doughnuts.
• I will watch less T.V…. in standard definition.
• Here is one for you, Stop buying worthless junk on Ebay, because QVC has better specials.
• Here is a final one for the yuppies and younger. Spend less than $1825 for coffee at Starbucks this year.
• Today as we have some laughs about resolutions, I want us to think about 1 resolution that we ought to work on keeping. This one resolution is important because what we do with this resolution reflects our commitment to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.
• In our passage today we unwrap today the Apostle Paul is writing the Philippian church about the importance of living for Jesus no matter what the circumstance.
• As I read Philippians I thought our verse was apropos for where we are on the calendar.
• Let’s turn to Philippians 1:27.
• SLIDE #3
• Philippians 1:27 (ESV) Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,
• SLIDE #4
Here is one resolution we should consider keeping.
I. Let your manner of life be worthy of the Gospel.
• In the previous verses back to verse 18 Paul is on the subject of speaking of the dilemma he faces. His real desire is to be in heaven with Jesus.