Summary: Spiritual Amnesia (Alzheimer, dementia) is a sickness that makes us forget to say “thanks” to God: We Forget God’s Past Mercies; We Allow Present Troubles To Block Out God’s Love; We Forget The Promises Made; Forget Our Calling As Ambassadors, etc.
“ONLY ONE CAME BACK TO SAY THANKS”
LUKE 17:11-19 11 And it came to pass, as Jesus went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. 12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: 13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us. 14 And when Jesus saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. 15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, 16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. 17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? 18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. 19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.
INTRO: “Only One Came Back To Say Thanks” (Thanksgivers In Minority) Teach
Happy Thanksgiving. Amnesia Is A Form Of Illness That Involves A Partial Or Total Memory Loss. May occur as the result of: A blow to the head. Psychic trauma. Alzheimer. Too much alcohol or narcotic use. Old age. It may be temporary and the memory slowly returns. Almost all of us have experienced it to some degree, especially when convenient. Example: We forget to pay that debt; to keep that appointment; that commitment; to pick up after ourselves; to take out the garbage, etc. Amnesiac cases when people forget their own face, name, address, family. Example: Young husband forgot he’s married. 3 hours late getting home from office - went to mother’s home. Spiritual Amnesia (Alzheimer, dementia) is a sickness that makes us forget to say “thanks” to God: We Forget God’s Past Mercies; We Allow Present Troubles To Block Out God’s Love; We Forget The Many Promises Made; We Forget Our Calling - Ambassador, Witness, Steward, Soldier, Disciple. 2 Timothy 1:1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS (STATISTICS REVEALED).
1. If You Have Food In The Refrigerator, Clothes On Your Back, A Roof Overhead And A Place To Sleep, You Are Richer Than 75% Of The World.
2. If You Have Money In The Bank, In Your Wallet, And Spare Change Some place, You Are Among The Top 8% Of The World’s Wealthy.
3. If You Woke Up This Morning With More Health Than Illness, You Are More Blessed Than The 1.1 Millions Who Will Not Live Through This Week.
4. If You Have Never Experienced The Danger Of Battle, The Loneliness Of Imprisonment, The Agony Of Torture, Or The Pains Of Starvation, You Are Ahead Of 2 Billion People In The World.
5. If You Can Attend Church Meetings Without Fear Of Harassment, Arrest, Torture, Or Death, You Are More Blessed Than Four Billion In The World.
Illustration: Man With Family Of 9 And Goat
SEVEN (7) SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BENEFITS OF THANKFULNESS
1. Gratitude Opens The Door To More Relationships.
2. Gratitude Improves Physical Health.
3. Gratitude Improves Psychological Health.
4. Gratitude Enhances Empathy & Reduces Aggression. 5. Gratitude Improves Emotional Health
6. Grateful People Sleep Better.
7. Gratitude Improves Self-Esteem.
8. Gratitude Increases Mental Strength
GRATITUDE AND INGRATITUDE IN THE BIBLE
1. Chief Cupbearer: (Genesis 40) Forgot Joseph
2. David: (2 Samuel 9) David’s grateful for Mephibosheth’s father Jonathan.
3. Jesus: (Mark 6:41) Gave thanks for boy’s 5 loaves and 2 fishes to feed the entire crowd.
4. Nebuchadnezzar: (Daniel 4) Refused to acknowledge God for Babylon – turned to animal.
5. David Killed Uriah: (2 Samuel 11) Ingrate for taking Uriah’s wife, Bathsheba.
6. Herod Agrippa: (Acts 12:20-23) Tyre & Sidon, Blastus: “Voice of God, no man”.
7. Mary Magdalene: (Matthew 26) Alabaster box of ointment – gratitude acts.
8. Ten Lepers: (Luke 17) Ten Healed. One came back to say thanks.
LEPROSY IN TODAY’S WORLD
65 New Cases Of Leprosy Are Detected Hourly. 11 Of These Affect Children. Leprosy Is Rare In USA - 200 New Cases Every Year. About 6,000 People Are On Record As Having The Disease In The US. Leprosy Thrives In Poor Nations: Personal Hygiene Reduces Immune System’s Ability To Fight. 1997: About 700,000 New Cases Annually & 70% Cases Mainly In India, Indonesia, Myanmar.