Summary: another sermon on the rapture of the church
ONLY THE REDEEMED
26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
I. Unsaved people are full of fear because of the things that are happening today.
A. What kind of things is happening today in America and around the world that make people afraid? The answer is evil things are happening around us.
1. We are at war along with many around the world and most of the civilized nations are allied with us in our war against terrorism.
2. We have a subtle and elusive enemy.
3. We have been threatened for the first time on our own borders.
4. We are being terrorized in our every day life by the threat of biological warfare.
B. The sad thing is that the common unsaved person doesn’t realize the significance of the events taking place in America and all around the world.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
1. They do not realize that everything that is happening around us is taking us sequentially “step by step” closer to Jesus snatching away of His church and His imminent return to rule and reign upon the earth with them. “ALL THES THINGS MUST COME TO PASS.”
2. Many of those around us will be taken by surprise at Jesus return. The Bible says that “He will come as a thief in the night while people are asleep.”
3. Christians have an obligation to tell those around us out of love that Jesus is coming soon and that only those who have been saved and redeemed by His blood will He take with Him.
How are we as believers affected by the events taking place around us and how should we react or respond?
II. As Believers living in these last days, it is natural to be concerned by the horrible things that are happening around us, but we should not be troubled, afraid or fearful.
A. Christians can and should have peace in the midst of the storm.
1. In order to have peace, we must allow Jesus to help us.
Jesus is able to soothe our tattered nerves, calm our fears and speak peace to our heart and inner-spirit.
2. It is very important to Jesus that His people have peace in the midst of the storm.
3. Why is it important to Jesus that we have peace in the midst of the storm? It is important for two reasons:
1) He wants us to be healthy.
2) He wants us to be a witness. How can we be a witness to the world and people around us if we are “cracking up” just like them?
4. In fact, it is so important to Jesus that His flock have peace that one day Jesus gathered His disciples around Him and delivered to them a wonderful sermon on “how to cope with your fears”!
That sermon is found in the gospel of John, chapter fourteen, verses 25-27. Let’s look at it together.
5. According to Jesus, He told His beloved disciples that it was the ministry of the Holy Spirit to soothe our tattered nerves, calm our fears and speak peace to our troubled heart and inner-spirit.
How does the Holy Spirit help us according to Jesus words in John chapter 14, verses 25-27?
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.