Summary: Spiritual Open Heart Surgery. The Great Physician performed the world’s first open heart surgery and it was successful!
Open Heart Surgery
I. Open Heart surgery is a very delicate procedure
A. Many have this surgery now, it has become routine.
B. But, you still want the most skilled surgeons, the most up to date equipment, and the very best of care.
II. Open Heart Surgery is a step of faith and hope.
A. Hope because:
1. You know you have heart problems that can be corrected.
2. For a longer life.
B. Faith because you place yourself entirely under the care of another.
III. Of course the physical heart and the heart that Lydia had opened up are entirely different.
I. The 1st Open Heart Surgery
A. Paul preached the word
B. Lydia - A worshiper of God
C. The Lord opened her heart
D. She responded
E. Power was in the message
1. 1 Cor. 1:12–17
2. Power to save is in the word of God acting upon the heart of men
II. How does the Heart operate?
A. It Longs to be filled.
1. Matt. 13:18–19 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in the heart.” - Receives the message like sown seed.
2. Matt. 13:15 - “For this people’s heart has become calloused. They hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them. “ It can understand
4. Eph. 3:16–17 - Christ can dwell there.
B. It Longs to Give.
1. Matt. 22:37 “Jesus replied ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” - It loves.
2. Mk 11:22–24 - It believes to action.
3. 2 Cor. 9:6–7 - It Gives.
C. It can become sick.
1. Rom. 2:5 can be stubborn.
2. Eph. 4:18 can be hardened
III. Open Heart Surgery - God’s Way.
A. Heb. 4:12 - word penetrates, judging the heart
IV. Successful Open Heart Surgery
A. Lydia listened to the gospel message and God opened her heart.
Just as the physical heart can become diseased, so to can spiritual heart.
Physical open heart surgery requires hope and faith.
Spiritual open Heart surgery also requires hope and faith.
Hope that your problems can be corrected.
Faith in the one who can heal you - The Great Physician.
Do not harden your hearts and reject the Lord. Hear the word and let it have a good effect in your heart. Be captivated by it and respond to it.