Summary: When confusion comes - turn to God’s Word.
1. What can wash away our sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
a. I love that hymn, and I especially love that line.
b. It’s the precious blood of Jesus that washes us, and cleanses us from all our sins.
What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
For my pardon, this I see, Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
For my cleansing this my plea, Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Glory! Glory! This I sing— Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
All my praise for this I bring— Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh! precious is the flow That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know, Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
1 John 1.9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
NOW: If we sat down to write a new song about our faith, what builds it, what establishes it, what makes it grow…
• We might have a line in the song like this:
• What can build our faith, nothing but the Word of God!
o When confusion comes? Turn to God’s Word.
o When questions arise? Lean on God’s Truths.
o When conflicts need resolution? Open the Word.
NOTE: Those of you that have made a habit of using God’s Word have found that it is powerful for every area of life.
Hebrews 4.12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
And that’s where Paul is as he closes this letter to church, the final letter we have written to the young church in Thessalonica.
• There are really 4 areas of concern he shares with them.
• First he asks them to Pray for the Word to go out.
• Then he Commands them to work.
• Then he Comforts them in their weariness.
• AND Finally he Concludes with Grace.
I. (3:1-5) Pray: Word to Go Out
1. (1-2) Pray For us
a. Remember, this is a church that can’t seem to get their end times theology right… they’re struggling in all sorts of areas.
b. And Paul doesn’t say, Finally brethren, pray for us, BUT SINCE you can’t get anything right, NEVER MIND. NO
c. He encourages them. Guys, please pray for us!
APP: It’s a great request for us as a church. Pray for us.
• Pray for the leaders in this church. Pray for the Sunday School workers, for the nursery, for the home fellowships… Pray.
• The bulletin becomes NOT JUST a list of events & opportunities.
• It becomes a weekly prayer list for various needs in the church.
• That the word of the Lord may run swiftly! Yes Lord.
Psalm 147.15 He sends out His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly.
NOTE: You guys are a great congregation, a praying, serving, giving, loving, grace filled church!
• It’s such an honor to be a part of this.
• U know GREAT PASTORS don’t make GREAT CONGEGRATIONS.
• I believe it’s the other way around!
• Great Congregations make for useful pastors.
• As you guys pray for your pastor, God honors your prayers and all glory and honor and righteousness goes to Him!