Summary: In Genesis 6, the whole world was corrupt, so God destroyed all of the people in a flood, saving only Noah and his family of eight in an ark. Jesus is the ark, and when we are in Him, we are saved from God’s wrath.
ORIGINS #4: THE FLOOD
In our Origins series, we’ve gone back to Genesis, the first book of the Bible.
We believe that God’s Word is an absolutely true account of the creation of the universe!
1. “Creation” - the biblical account of creation versus the theory of evolution.
2. “The Fall” - “If God is good, then why is there death and suffering?”
3. “Dinosaurs” - How God created dinosaurs on day six of creation.
THE BIG IDEA: In Genesis 6, the whole world was corrupt, so God destroyed all of the people in a flood, saving only Noah and his family of eight in an ark. Jesus is the ark, and when we are in Him, we are saved from God’s wrath.
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DINOSAURS? THE STORY OF THE FLOOD:
“Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them." But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God. And Noah begot three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.” (Genesis 6:5-10).
• Even though when God created the world, it was originally very good, through Adam’s sin, death and the curse entered into the world.
• Why did God flood the Earth? Death is the penalty for sin.
• “(God) did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly.” (2 Peter 2:5).
• Many people focus on God’s judgment of the wicked in this story, but miss His GRACE.
• God’s desire was that the people would repent and be saved, but they didn’t listen.
• Now if what we’ve learned so far is true, then dinosaurs lived side-by-side with mankind before the flood. How did Noah fit all of the animals – and the dinosaurs – on the ark?
HOW COULD NOAH FIT ALL OF THE ANIMALS ON THE ARK?
• Unbelievers say, “Noah could have never fit all of the animals on the ark!”
• If you ask them, “How big was the ark?” they will say, “I don’t know.”
• Ask, “How many animals did Noah have to fit on the ark?” they say, “I don’t know.”
• It’s unfortunate that most pictures representing the ark are cute little boats with giraffe heads sticking out the windows causing people to doubt the ark could have been real.
1. HOW BIG WAS THE ARK?
“And God said to Noah, "The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch. And this is how you shall make it: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. You shall make a window for the ark, and you shall finish it to a cubit from above; and set the door of the ark in its side. You shall make it with lower, second, and third decks” (Genesis 6:13-16).
QUOTE: “The Ark measured 300 x 50 x 30 cubits which is about 459 x 75 x 44 feet, so its volume was 1.54 million cubic feet… This is the equivalent volume of 522 standard American railroad stock cars, each of which can hold 240 sheep.” (522 stock cars x 240 sheep each = 125,280 total sheep).” (Jonathan Sarfati of Answers in Genesis).
• This ark was huge – it had three decks! It was no little tug boat…
2. HOW MANY ANIMALS DID NOAH HAVE TO FIT ON THE ARK?
“And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.” (Genesis 6:19).
How many animals approximately would that be?
“The total number of land-dwelling mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibian species is less than 20,000 or so. The number of "kinds," the Biblical designation, is probably much smaller. For instance, of the 9,000 bird species, approximately 400 are hummingbirds, with only minor differences in color, size, and habitat. Very likely, they all come from only one or a few kinds, thereby dropping the total number.” (John Morris, Institute for Creation Research).