Summary: Go wants us to know without any doubts that we are His children and that He loves us.
1. REMEMBER the contrast in this wonderful GOSPEL OF GRACE is between the LAW & FAITH.
• How do I relate to God? By faith or fear?
RULES, REGULATIONS… RELIGION & RITUALS.
• Don’t touch this. Don’t wear that. Don’t, Can’t, Shouldn’t!
• It’s the spirit of bondage again to fear.
• Think about religion for a moment and its lists of do’s & don’ts
• Following a system like that gives a person just one care…
• A person becomes only interested in the LIST, the RULES.
• In your mind, the LIST-GIVER, or the RULE-MAKER is cruel, and distant, and mean… especially when you make a mistake!
• THE LAW: brings with it bondage, fear, & condemnation!
But notice again v15, we didn’t receive the spirit of bondage but rather the spirit of adoption, the gospel of grace!
• Our relationship is with the Father, not the RULE GIVER!
• We live by FAITH, not motivated by FEAR!
• Grace brings freedom, confidence, and forgiveness!
NOTE: GOD reveals Himself to us through many different pictures throughout the Bible.
AS A MOTHER EAGLE STIRRING THE NEST
Deuteronomy 32:11-12 (NKJV) 11 As an eagle stirs up its nest, Hovers over its young, Spreading out its wings, taking them up, Carrying them on its wings, 12 So the Lord alone led him, And there was no foreign god with him.
AS A MOTHER HEN WANTING TO DRAW HER CHICKS
Psalm 36:7-8 (NKJV) 7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings.
JESUS WOULD SAY: Matthew 23:37 (NKJV) 37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
AS A SHEPHERD WITH HIS SHEEP.
Ezekiel 34:11-12 (NKJV) 11 ‘For thus says the Lord God: “Indeed I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. 12 As a shepherd seeks out his flock on the day he is among his scattered sheep, so will I seek out My sheep and deliver them from all the places where they were scattered on a cloudy and dark day.
JESUS WOULD SAY: John 10:11 (NKJV) 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
AS A HUSBAND TO HIS WIFE.
Isaiah 54:5 (NKJV) 5 For your Maker is your husband, The Lord of hosts is His name; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth.
AS A BRIDEGROOM TO HIS BRIDE
Isaiah 61:10 (NKJV) 10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
• AND AS CHRISTIANS, we are called the bride of Christ.
Paul GIVES US ONE MORE HERE… God is our father, our ABBA.
• An Aramaic word that translates for us DADDY or PAPA.
• Jesus prayed Abba, Father in Mark 14:36
NOW I know this can be one of the most difficult pictures of God for some of you because in your life,
• Your dad wasn’t there. Or was harsh & hurtful. Wasn’t reliable or helpful and just a plain bad example.
• Memories are stirred up that you just don’t want to recall.
• This picture can make you more distant than close.
• I understand and I’ve prayed that your heart would be open to the most wonderful, beautiful picture of our Graceful God in all of the Bible… our DADDY, our PAPA, our ABBA Father…
I’m a dad myself… living apart from Jesus, I became one at age 18.
• I was ill-equipped and not ready. Drunk. Distant. Devastating.
• Mistake after mistake I made. I was horrible.
• My poor son endured the stupidity of a man who wasn’t one.
• YET God’s grace prevailed and covered our home in patience.
• AND GOD broke through! I became a dad to that boy.
• What joyful love we experience now. Our next 2 children were born to parents who loved Jesus and were open to learn.
V16 - YOU CAN RELATE TO YOUR GOD AS DADDY because His Spirit bears witness with our spirit… we love Him!
• It’s not by human example, but by heavenly revelation!
• Flip over to Galatians 4:1-7
• Closeness, intimacy.
• There is that deep desire in our hearts for intimacy that is only satisfied fully in our spiritual father’s arms.
APP: THIS Relationship is not one of fear.