Summary: God is awesome in power and grace. He is great beyond the anything anyone could imagine.
TITLE: Our Awesome God
INTRO: The two most important questions in life are: Where did we come from? and Where are we going? People give different answers to those questions:
1. The Atheist says God does not exist. The universe was not created by a higher power.
2. The Pantheist says God and the universe are one all-inclusive unity.
3. The Naturalist says the universe is the product of strictly natural laws and chance processes with no supernatural involvement.
4. The Polytheist says many gods coexist, each with distinct areas of responsibility and various measures of goodness, evil, and power.
5. The Evolutionist says that accumulated small changes eventually led to new species. If this were so, we would be able to track these changes to their origin. But, no fossils have ever been found to link one species with another – the missing links remain missing.
6. The Bible says a personal God exists who created and rules the universe. He created the universe from nothing & He is distinct from and transcends the entire material realm.
I. AN AWESOME CREATOR (Psa.33:6-9)
A. God Created the Universe Out of Nothing
1. The heavens, the stars, the planets, the earth & the sea were made by God
2. He spoke and it all came into being. Someone referred to Him as the "Star Breather'
Can you count the stars that brightly
Twinkle in the midnight sky?
Can you count the clouds, so lightly
O’er the meadows floating by?
God, the Lord, doth mark their number,
With His eyes that never slumber
He hath made them every one.
3. He separated the land and the seas
(Gen 1:9) "And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so."
B. God Created Human Beings
1. Beginning with Adam & Eve
(Gen 2:7) "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
2. The word breath in Hebrew is ruach and means wind, breath, or spirit
3. When Timothy wrote in (2Ti 3:16a) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." The word inspiration literally means "God breathed"
II. HIS AWESOME POWER (Psa.33:13-15)
A. God is Omnipotent, (All powerful)
-He is in control of everything
B. He is Also Omniscient, (Knows everything)
1. When He made us, He knew we would sin, yet gave us the freedom to make our own choices.
(Psa 8:4-6) "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:"
C. We Can Only Stand in Awe of Him
1. Because of what He made
2. Because He loves His creation
(Rom 5:8) "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
III. AN AWESOME SAVIOR (Col.1:15-17)
A. Jesus is the Eternal Son of God
1. He was present in the Creation
(Joh 1:3) "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."
2. He demonstrated His Power while on earth
(Mar 4:39)"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."
B. Yet, He Willingly Died For Us
(Php 2:8) "And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
C. So We Could Become Like Him
(2Co 5:21) "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."
CONCL: What an Awesome, Powerful God, Creator,
Savior & Lord!
It took a miracle to put the stars in place,
It took a miracle to hang the world in space;
But when He saved my soul,
Cleansed and made me whole,
It took a miracle of love and grace!