Summary: The Bible was written by men divinely inspired; it has truth for its matter without error; it is and shall remain to the end of the age the only complete and final revelation of the will of God to man
The Bible was written by men divinely inspired; it has truth for its matter without error; it is and shall remain to the end of the age the only complete and final revelation of the will of God to man; and, it is the true center of Christian union and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and opinions shall be tried. The collection of sixty-six books from Genesis to Revelation does not only contain and convey the Word of God but is the very Word of God. By “inspiration” it means that the books of the Bible were written by holy men of old as they were moved by the Holy Spirit of God in such a definite way that their writings were supernaturally and verbally inspired and free from error. Notice now some things about our Bible. Every man has a source of strength and authority, the Bible is ours.
I. Seven Wonders of the Bible
1. The wonder of its Formation.
The Old and New Testament. The way it goes together and comes together.
2. The wonder of its Unification.
A library of 66 books, yet one book. One author, the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:21
3. The wonder of its Age.
a. Most ancient of all books
b. Creation and first parents
c. History has proven to be true. It has stood the test of time!
4. The wonder of its Sale.
It’s the best seller of all time.
5. The wonder of its Interest.
The only book that is read by all classes and ages of mankind.
6. The wonder of its Language.
Written largely by uneducated, yet it is a masterpiece.
7. The wonder of its Preservation.
Most hated of all books, but still here.
II. Seven Symbols Used to Illustrate the Word of God.
1. A Sword………Hebrews 4:12
2. A Hammer……. Jeremiah 23:29
3. A Seed……1 Peter 1:23
4. A Mirror…. James 1:23-25
5. A Fire…. Jeremiah 23:29
6. A Lamp…. Psalm 119:105
Word of God Convicts (Sword), Breaks (Hammer), Regenerates (Seed), Reveals (Mirror), Consumes (Fire), Illuminates (Lamp) and Nourishes (Food) the individual.
1. Conviction of sin comes through preaching of the Word; Acts 2:14-37
2. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God; Romans 10:17
3. Cleansing comes from the Word of God; Psalm 111:9-11
4. Assurance comes from the Word of God; 1 John 5:13
5. Comfort comes from the Word of God; 1 Thessalonians 4:18
6. Truth comes from the Word of God; Acts 17:11
7. The New Birth Comes from the Word of God; 1 Peter 1:23
IV. Seven Points to Remember in Reading the Bible.
1. Read it Lovingly…. Jeremiah 15:16
2. Read it Reverently…. The Bible is the Word of God, our Savior and Judge.
3. Read it Prayerfully……John 16:13
4. Read it Systematically…. God is a God of order. 2 Timothy 2:15
5. Read it Meditatively……Joshua 1: 8
6. Read it Resolutely……A matter of Fact
7. Read it Daily……Acts 17:11