Summary: After the Revelation of who we are in Christ - The Church (God’s Body), After the Revelation of our new name (Operating in God’s Authority), After the Revelation & Spiritual Comprehension of the vastness of God’s love, We see that OUR GOD IS ABLE...
• In Ephesians 1 - Paul is praying for his fellow Christians. His brothers and sisters in Christ. He prays for insight, inner strength, and love for the believers, for the purpose that they will comprehend and understand truth. He prays that they will know God better, and be filled up with God.
• In Ephesians 3 - Paul is praying that they will finally "get it!" -- have a breakthrough in their comprehension and understanding of what it's all about. Paul prays that their lives will be filled with God -- which is another way to say "know him" and have "Christ dwell in your hearts."
I. PRAYER #1
15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 (To know) And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all. (the revelation of the purpose of the Church)
II. PRAYER #2
14 For this cause (See “A” Below) I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
A. V.14 - The phrase "For this cause..." - (Ep 3:14; also 3:1) For what cause?
1. The celebration of salvation by grace through faith - Ep 2:1-10
2. The reality that Gentiles can now become "fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise" - Ep 2:11-22; 3:6
B. V.15 - The whole family (Jews & Gentiles alike) in Heaven & Earth is “named” after God.
1. We are God’s Property and we walk in God’s Authority
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
C. V.16 - There is no limit to the strength that God can give us…
D. V.17 - Dwell means to set up permanent residence “by faith”.
1. We are rooted and grounded in love because God is love and God lives in us!
1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
a) This is why we can do all things through Christ because He strengthens us!
E. V.18 - We need God’s help understanding the vastness of His love.
1. God is trying to get through to us there there are no limits to His love.
F. V.19 - And… The comprehension of God’s love
1. How can a person “know” something that is “passed knowledge?” (only through Christ…
2. God’s love is so vast that the only way we can know it is through the person of Jesus Christ and His work on the Cross.