Summary: Will we submit to Christ and find rest in what He offers? Or, will we try to know Christ … yet still want to be Lord of our lives?
Our invitation is simple and direct
Invitations, Part 7
- This morning is the final message in our Invitations series
- It is important that you and I understand the power of an invitation
-- Whether it’s an invitation to a ballgame, to a BBQ, or even to church
-- Everything we do starts with an invitation to be a part of something else
- Inviting someone to be a part of what you’re doing says several things to them:
1) What you have going on is important
2) What you are a part of is enjoyable to you, and,
3) What you do is worth their time to check out (at least once)
- Contrast: If we won’t invite others, what does that say about what we do?
- Background for our message: Jesus is teaching …
-- We see here a very familiar story that perhaps you’ve read before
-- But I wonder if we have ever really noticed how Jesus is inviting us
- Most would immediately say that it is to come to Him, for he gives rest
-- While this is very true … there are three invitations for us to consider
-- Let’s read and see where God takes our hearts today
∆ Point 1 – Our First Invitation
- If you notice, the first thing Jesus does when he talks to the Father is praise
-- Over and over again His prayer life is one of worship and adoration (v25)
-- APP: What an incredible instruction for us to see: prayer involves praise
- He does not come to God just with His petition, but with praise and honor
-- RE: When the disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray he does same
- “Our Father, who are in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name …”
-- It is focus, it is fellowship, and it is worship that Jesus always begins with
- But more than that – look at the words that He used …
-- We come to God with reverence, because He is so worthy to be praised
-- He was pleased to reveal the information of salvation not to the learned (v26)
-- But to those who come humbly, asking, and requesting to know Him more
- Jesus’ teaching here is phenomenal for the Christian today
-- Want to know more about God? Then YOU must go and seek Him out!
-- Our first invitation is to see that we have an active role in knowing God!
- We should be ones who seek to know more about God; who desire Him deeper
-- It is pleasing to God for us to seek Him out, to grow more in knowing Him
- In v26 Jesus even confirms and acknowledges that God does this intentionally
-- We should not be discouraged by this, but desire to know more about Him
- Q: I want to know God more …
- A: How much time do you spend reading His word and meeting with Him?
- This relationship building is no different than those that we have here
-- If I only talked to my spouse for one hour a week I wouldn’t know her at all!
-- APP: It pleases God when we seek Him out … willingly, humbly, like children
- TRANS: So, our first invitation is to have an active role seeking God out