Summary: Jesus gives: 1. The miracle of regeneration (vs. 24-26). 2. The miracle of righteousness (vs. 27-30). 3. The miracle of the resurrection (vs. 28-30).
Our Miraculous Master
The Gospel of John
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - September 7, 2016
(Revised July 30, 2019)
*Before we read our Scripture for tonight, remember that this chapter began with an amazing miracle. Verses 1-9 tell about this healing miracle that took place in Jerusalem by the pool called Bethesda. There Jesus instantly and completely healed a man who had been bedridden for 38 years. Praise the Lord!
*But Jesus performed this healing miracle on the Sabbath Day, and that was a crime punishable by death under the man-made Jewish laws of that day. As soon as Jesus began to respond to their charge, He committed another crime in their eyes that was punishable by death. This new crime is completely unheard of in our society, because the charge against Jesus was blasphemy, making Himself equal with God by saying that God was His Father.
*We can see these charges unfold in vs. 15-18, where God's Word says:
15. The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
16. For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath.
17. But Jesus answered them, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.''
18. Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
*Last week in vs. 19-23, we saw that Jesus pled guilty to the charge of making Himself equal to God. Rightly so, because Jesus is and always has been the one and only eternal Son of God.
*And we should honor Jesus as God, because:
-No man can see like Jesus sees.
-No man can do what Jesus does.
-And no man can judge like Jesus judges.
*In tonight's Scripture, Jesus continued His defense against the Jewish leaders, so let's read vs. 24-30. And as we read, think about our miraculous Master, Jesus Christ.
*Well, this all started with an amazing miracle. Have you seen any miracles today? You might not think so, but if you are a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, all you have to do to see a miracle is look in the mirror!
*Jesus Christ is our Miracle Worker! And as we look into His Word tonight, we see 3 miracles the Lord works in the life of every believer.
1. FIRST: JESUS GIVES US THE MIRACLE OF REGENERATION.
*Regeneration is the miracle of being born again by the Holy Spirit of God. Titus 3:4-6 says this to Christians:
4. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
5. not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
6. whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
*Christians: We were born again into God's family through the Holy Spirit's work of regeneration. Jesus talked about this new spiritual birth in John 3:5-7. There the Lord told Nicodemus:
5. "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'"
*When we believe in Jesus Christ, when we receive Him as our Lord and Savior, we are literally born again spiritually, and we have two birthdays!
*A few years ago, I bumped into Trish Barmore and her little boy at Walmart. They are some of our friends from McClendon. The first thing out of that little boy's mouth was this: "I got saved on my birthday!"
*I said, "That's great! Now you have two birthdays on the same day." And he can always remember when he was born again, because when we trust in Jesus Christ, we receive God's eternal life through a new, spiritual birth.
*This miraculous gift of new life is absolutely essential for salvation. It gives us the everlasting life Jesus talked about in vs. 24-26. Here Jesus told His accusers:
24. "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me HAS EVERLASTING LIFE, and shall not come into judgment (or condemnation), but has passed from death into life.
25. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself."