Summary: The Pre-eminence of Christ our savior.
Text: Colossians 1:12-22 12. Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13. Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14. In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15. Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16. For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17. And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
19. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
20. And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
21. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
22. In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
Introduction: In our age there seems to be many varying thoughts concerning The Lord Jesus Christ. There are many false religions in the world today that would have you believe that He was nothing more than a mere man that went about doing good. They will tell you that He was a great teacher and preacher. They will tell you that He was nothing more than you and I, but because He was such a good man God elevated him to a position above us. All of these various views of our Lord are wrong. By God’s marvelous help we would like to take the Bible and rip these heresies into shreds. By God’s help we would like to present you with a glimpse of who Jesus really is; “Our Pre-eminent Savior”. It is my most earnest prayer that after the message you will be left with a breath-taking view of Christ, our most glorious Lord.
Consider these few thoughts concerning the pre-eminence of our Lord:
I. He is pre-eminent in His Person. (V.15)
~ Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
To further expound the pre-eminence of His person we would like to consider the following scripture:
~ John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Notice what the apostle John has to say concerning Christ. He says that Jesus is:
A. Eternally God.
In the beginning was the Word…
The word beginning does not refer to a start; rather it refers to an infinite state. In other words there has never been a time when Jesus has not existed. Before there was time, He was present. He has always existed because He is eternally God.
B. Equally God.
…and the Word was with God…
Jesus was with God in total equality. All that God is, Jesus is. All God that possesses, Jesus possesses.