Summary: Many people don’t do what their doctors or counselors suggest. It’s a terrible mistake to treat Jesus in the same way. Whenever he gives advice it is for our healing. From now on we need to listen and do what our Wonderful Counselor says.
Part of our Christmas celebrations involves the giving of gifts. We exchange gifts most of the time because of our love for each other. Sometimes it’s out of a sense of obligation. The gift-giving tradition looks back to the first Christmas scene when the wise men brought gifts to baby Jesus – gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Our gift giving leads to unavoidable lists – lists of gifts for coworkers, friends and family. Believe it or not, even thought the songs tell us Santa Claus is checking his list twice, he did not create the first Christmas list. God did. It involves four gifts only Jesus can give to you and me. God’s Christmas list for you is found in Isaiah 9:6.
Text: Isaiah 9:6 NLT
For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest on his shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
This is one awesome baby. His royal titles describe who he is and how he will act. These four titles – Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace – make up God’s Christmas gift list for you. Today we will focus on the first one.
A child is born to us…. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor….
These two words in Jesus’ first title are powerful words in the Bible.
“WONDERFUL” IS A WORD USED PRIMARILY TO DESCRIBE GOD AND THE ACTIONS ONLY HE CAN DO.
• Beyond understanding, incomprehensible, marvelous, too wonderful for words
• Jesus Himself is all of the wonder of God – Life; Love; Holiness and moral purity; Forgiveness; Salvation; Hope; Dependability; Grace; Mercy; Truth; Strength….
• Jesus is “everything that makes God God”.
• He is the exact representation of God
• Jesus is a Wonder in everything he is and does
“COUNSELOR” IS A TITLE GIVEN TO WISE LEADERS WHO ASSIST OTHERS.
• Counselors advise, consult, guide, to lead with a plan
• This child born to us has no need for a cabinet full of counselors – he is the Counselor because he is like God himself.
• Jesus stands ready to lead your life – if you are ready to follow Him.
• There are no hidden agendas or ulterior motives in Jesus’ counsel.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:15-16)
Jesus — the Wonderful Counselor comes for the sick.
Jesus answered (some of his critics who complained about him hanging out with sinners), “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (Luke 5:31-32)
Where are you sick? In what area of your life are you “sick?”
1. Healing with the Wonderful Counselor will require you to BE BRUTALLY HONEST WITH THE COUNSELOR.
(Jesus) told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”
“I have no husband,” she replied. (John 4:16-17)