Summary: IN JESUS WE MOVE FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT
OUT OF THE DARKNESS AND INTO THE LIGHT
ISAIAH 9: 1-7
SUNDAY PM DECEMBER 21, 2003
INTRODUCTION: WHOEVER STARTED THIS WHOLE CHRISTMAS THING…(E-mail)
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Christmas is not always a time of light. For many it is a time of darkness. Before Jesus came there was definite darkness. The darkness here is a result of sin and of Exile caused by sin. Today is no different. Sin leads to Exile and Exile is separation from God and from the place where He would have us to be. Darkness abounds and is always a result of losing the Light. The Lady who asked the question: “Who started this thing anyway…” is a caricature of this world in which we live, a very dark world, because we have lost the light. How could it have happened? How did we loose our way? This is not the real question of our text. Our text only speaks in the positive and the GREAT NEWS IS: THOSE WALKING IN DARKNESS HAVE SEEN A GREAT LIGHT!
THESIS SENTENCE: IN JESUS WE MOVE FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT
I. LIGHT IS AN EXPRESSION OF JOY VV. 1-3
A. JOY IS NOT GLOOM, DISTRESS, DARKNESS OR DEATH
1. Contrast is the word of the prophet. The people understood words of gloom, distress, darkness and death. These were the words of their day. These are the words of Exile. These are the words associated with the penalty of sin.
2. For Israel, Idolatry had brought about this great day of despair.
3. As in any age for anyone, to turn away from the living God to serve anything or anyone, including ourselves will bring us to the place of exile, the punishment for sin.
4. Darkness is always the atmosphere when we are out of the presence of God.
B. JOY IS LIGHT AND REJOICING
1. For no apparent reason, our God decides to act.
2. Grace is real and abounds. When we cannot find our way, when we are over come by the darkness and despair of life, our God intervene.
3. When God is present, the atmosphere changes. No longer is despair the mood! Joy comes in the morning! When God shows up, everything changes!!
4. The language of the day is of Light dawning, The SON IS RISING!
5. Despair is replaced with rejoicing!!
6. The Nation Grows, The Harvest is Plentiful, the Enemy is Plundered and the Spoils are shared!
TRUTH: When God shows up, despair is gone!
QUESTION: Are we experiencing Joy and Light or Darkness and Despair?
II. LIGHT IS THE END OF OPPRESSION VV. 4-5
A. OPPRESSION is a Yoke of Burden, a Bar across the Shoulders, and the Rod of Oppression!
1. Sin is Oppression! Exile is Oppression!
2. Sin is a Yoke of Burden, A Bar Across the Shoulders, and a Rod of Oppression! 3. Oppression is the result! Oppression is the reality of Exile!
4. Sin is the Cause and Exile is the Effect! Oppression is the net result!
B. THE END OF OPPRESSION IS SHATTERING AND BURNING
1. Shattering and Burning is a Present Reality of a Past Experience.
2. In the Past, Israel had known great Military Accomplishment!
3. Israel was a Nation to be Reckoned with! Israel had known what it was to win the victory. Defeat was not in their vocabulary.
4. Now the Language of Victory is Israel’s again. No longer will defeat be the description of Israel! Victory is now Reality, not past, but present!
5. This reality is so powerful, this Victory so complete, even the garments of war are destroyed!
TRUTH: VICTORY IS REALITY FOR GOD’S PEOPLE!
QUESTION: ARE WE LIVING A VICTORIOUS LIFE?
III. LIGHT IS THE NEW REIGN VV. 6-7
A. THE OLD REGIME WAS POWERLESS
1. The old regime had become desolate. No longer was anyone in true power! 2. The Government had become Irrelevant, no longer able to meet the needs of the people.
3. Israel was now a nation of hopelessness!
B. THE NEW REGIME IS ALL POWERFUL
1. This language, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,” is the language of an Heir! No longer would the throne be vacant!
2. Hope is now restored! A child has been born and the nation is no longer without an heir to the throne!
3. This NEW KING will be utterly wise in dispensing Justice (Wonderful Counselor)!
4. He will have the power, prowess, and potency of a god (Mighty God)! 5. He will be as reassuring and protective as a great tribal leader (Everlasting Father)!
6. He will be a bringer of peace and prosperity (Prince of Peace)!
C. THE NEW REGIME IS ETERNAL
1. “OF THE INCREASE OF HIS GOVERNMENT AND PEACE THERE WILL BE NO END.”
2. “HE WILL REIGN ON DAVID’S THRONE AND OVER HIS KINGDOM, ESTABLISHING AND UPHOLDING IT WITH JUSTICE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS FROM THAT TIME ON AND FOREVER.”