Summary: Elijah becomes an example of dealing with and overcoming deprestion
OVERCOMING DEPRESSION – 1 Kings 19
Jam 5:17/ Mal 4:5-6
(Every church has a Jezebel)
Here is a man who great victories but now wants to die – Ps 42/ Num 11:15
Jeremiah … would that was never born
2 Cor 1:8
Two types of depression:
2- spiritual depression
Why do people get depressed?
1- Because you feel like a failure
2- Because you feel like you don’t love God enough
Remember: Satan is the accuser of the brethren
1. Elijah had an unrealistic view of Christianity
- 1 Kin 18 – He believed he could have 1 perfect service – fire from heave and everything would be ok
2- He ran from the problem
- If he would of waited 24 more hrs he would have seen thru Jezebel
- We cannot run from our problem – 1 Kings 19:4
- Depression is always rooted in anger
- Ex Jonah/ Ninevah – Jonah 4:3
3- He violated God’s law of limitations – 19:14
- chs 17-18 – Elijah pushing and pushing until He’s exhausted
- Don’t quit or make major decisions when you are tired
- Learn to rest/ laugh/ enjoy life/ Rom 8:28/ Zech 4:6
God cured Elijah:
1- By showing him his love.
- When he was down – he gave him rest and food
2- He gave hive a spirit of honesty – He made him look at himself
3- God was a friend to Elijah – “…why are you here?”
4- God gave him a new commission – Go back to work. Jn 8:32
God wasn’t in the fire/ smoke/ earthquake but in the still small voice.
Do you recognize the still small voice or do you only recognize the fire/ smoke or earthquake?
Prophecy – “Your best days are ahead of you.”