Summary: WE CAN OVERCOME THE ENEMY OF OUR SOUL BY FOCUSING ON CHRIST ALONE!
OVERCOMING IN A GIVE UP WORLD
REVELATION 12: 1-17
JULY 15, 2001
INTRODUCTION: Two frogs fell into a deep cream bowl, The one was wise, and a cheery soul. The other one took a gloomy view and bade his friend a sad adieu. Said the other frog with a merry grin, “I can’t get out, but I won’t give in; I’ll swim around till my strength is spent, then I will die the more content.” And as he swam, though ever it seemed, His struggling began to churn the cream until on top of pure butter he stopped, and out of the bowl he quickly hopped. The moral, you ask? Oh, it’s easily found! If you can’t get out, keep swimming around.
Our Daily Bread, November 29
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Our text for this day speaks to us of those who overcame and just how it was accomplished. It speaks to us of the reality or possibility of overcoming. It also tells of the horrible reality that the Enemy of our soul has been let loose and he is mad as, well, you can imagine, because he knows his time is short. It also speaks of the reality of the cosmic battle that is being waged for our souls this very moment and the marching orders that we must understand to overcome, LEST WE FALL/ GIVE UP! ARE WE QUITERS OR OVERCOMERS?
THESIS SENTENCE: WE CAN OVERCOME THE ENEMY OF OUR SOUL BY FOCUSING ON CHRIST ALONE!
OVERCOMING IN A GIVE UP WORLD IS…
I. A LIFE TO FIND (VV. 11a) A COVERING OF THE BLOOD
OVERCOMING STARTS WHEN THE BLOOD IS APPLIED! WITHOUT IT YOU ARE DEAD!
A. His blood brings our redemption.
1. Ephesians 1: 7 “In him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
2. To redeem is to: 1.buy back; pay off (a loan or a debt). 2, To liberate from captivity or obligation by paying a ransome…. 4. To atone for;…
3. Jesus’ death on the cross and his shedding of blood, paid the debt in full, it bought us back from the penalty of sin, it liberated us from the captivity/ bondage of sin, it atoned for all our sin!!!
4. This is why Paul could say, Jesus’ blood caused God to lavish on us His grace, the forgiveness of sin!!
B. His blood brings our reconciliation.
1. Sin seperates, Blood COAGULATES.
2. Epesians 2: 13 tells us, “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.”
3. Jesus’ blood drew us back into the Father’s presence. It caused us to be reunited with the one whom we had severed the ties.
C. His blood is life giving.
1. A body with out blood is dead. Without Jesus’ blood we have no hope in eternal life! With Jesus’ blood, we have life with God!
2. READ REVELATION 7: 9-17
3. WITH THE BLOOD LIFE/ WITHOUT THE BLOOD DEATH!
ILLUSTRATION: I READ ABOUT A LITTLE BOY AND HIS FATHER WHO WERE ATTENDING A PARADE YEARS AGO. THEY STOOD JUST INSIDE AN OLD 5 (FIVE) AND 10 (DIME) STORE. AS ONE OF THE BANDS WENT BY THE FATHER ASKED HIS SON, “DID YOU SEE THOSE BRIGHT RED COATS?” THE SON ANSWERED, “NO, I SAW WHITE COATS!” THE FATHER THOUGHT THE SON WAS JESTING AND ASKED AGAIN AND GOT THE SAME REPLY. KNOWING THAT HIS SON WOULD NOT LIE, THE FATHER GOT DOWN ON HIS KNEES AND LOOKED AS THE BAND MARCHED OUT OF SIGHT. AS HE DID, HE NOTICED THAT THE WINDOW OF THE STORE HAD A STAINED STREAK OF RED RUNING RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS SON. WHEN LOOKING THROUGH THE RED GLASS, THE UNIFORMS LOOKED WHITE.