Summary: What are some of the Biblical solutions for problems with selfish, ignorant, and emotional desires that create distortions of our view of God’s attributes?
Overcoming Our Selfish Desires that Tend to Distort One’s View of God’s Attributes
Psalm 62:1-62:2 (NIV, NIRV, TNIV, KJV)
What are some of the Biblical solutions for problems with selfish, ignorant, and emotional desires that create distortions of our view of God’s attributes?
1. Ask the Lord for help in cleansing you from all unrighteous thoughts, emotions and perceptions. Jesus said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God? (Matt. 5:8)
2. Confess and forsake all sins of commission, omission, disposition and wrong assumptions. David wrote, "If I had cherished sin my heart the Lord would not have listened to me." (Psa. 66:18)
3. Habitually have fifteen minutes of prayer and study of God’s word before starting each day. David cried, "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you. My soul thirsts for you my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. (Psa. 63:1,2) My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation come from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I shall never be shaken." (Psa. 62:1,2)
4. Do not let your perceptions to be clouded by emotional distress or subjective perspectives. Turn every concern over to the Lord. David wrote, "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall. But you, O God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of corruption; bloodthirsty and deceitful men will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you." (Psa. 55 :22,23)
5. Sing songs that help you trust the Lord with all of your emotions, mind and physical strength. David wrote, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid." (Psa. 56:3,4)
6. Do not fear the intimidating threats from people. David wrote, "What can mortal man do to me?" (Psa. 56:4)
7. Do not let people frustrate you, discourage you or manipulate you.
8. Ask the Lord for a holier mind, soul and spirit. David wrote, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin." (Psa. 51:1,2)
9. We all can grow more in holiness and truth.
10. Encourage yourself in the Lord and the powerful inspirational strength found in His joy. David wrote, "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." (Psa. 42:11)
11. Let the Lord use you in every aspect of Christian service as He teaches the humble about Himself. David wrote, "Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the Lord delivers him in times of trouble. The Lord will protect him and preserve his life. He will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. The Lord will sustain him on his sick bed and restore him from his bed of illness." (Psa. 41:1-3)
12. Do not neglect any opportunity to serve. Freely you have received, therefore, freely give.
13. Wait on the Lord and cry to Him for every need, concern and problem. David wrote, "I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Blessed is the man who makes the Lord His trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods." (Psa. 40:1-4)
14. Ask God for Godly mentors.
15. Read, study and educate yourself in every aspect of God’s wisdom and truth - never stop being a learner. Peter wrote, "Paul’s letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." (2 Pet. 3:16)
16. Be involved with teaching others God’s truth and He will reveal more of Himself to you in the process!