Summary: God will help you face to the unknown.
Life-Line For Jesus Community Church 9/02
Lorenzo Nicholson Sr. Overcoming the fear of walking alone
Is 40:29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength;
I believe that everybody who has been born into the world came here for a purpose. There are those who find that purpose but are afraid to walk into it. What is it that causes people to be so fearful of walking into the one thing that they were placed in this world to do? It is the fear of walking alone. They have never been this way before and do not know what to expect so they resolve to stay with what they know best. Babies who take their first step are always re-luctant to do so. They are afraid to venture into what they have never done before. You may “overcome the fear of walking alone” by determining several important factors.
I. Your primary reason or motive for wanting to do a particular thing must be right. Make sure that:
1. You are not driven by selfishness.
2. You are not driven by envy or jealousy.
3. You are not driven by a desire for personal greatness or power.
4. It is important that God is leading you in the direction that you desire to go.
a. Ps 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. 24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
II. Whatever it is that God has designed for you to do, he equips you with power to do it regardless to how inadequate you may feel.
1. Is 40:29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
2. Often people who appear to be the best candidate are prone to failure because God has not ordained what they set out to do.
a. Is 40:30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
3. You cannot depend on your own ability or you will definitely fail. You must be empowered by God if you are going to be successful at what you set out to do. It does not matter what it is.
a. Is 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength;
b. This is true in terms of ministry, career, business and not only so, but with anything that you try to do like over-coming a sin or quitting a habit.
c. There is no point in trying to stop sinning if you have not gotten before God in prayer until he empowers you to do so.
d. There may be those here today who would want to be saved but have not yet come to Christ. Try asking God to empower you to walk down the idle. You can’t do it in a serious manner if God doesn’t draw you to him.
III. Each journey that you take in life involves walking into it. Every adventure is a step into what you haven’t done before and it calls for “overcoming the fear of walking alone.”
1. You can be certain that there is no need to fear if God is ordering you steps. You must be cautious that great opportunities are not overlooked because of fear.
2. The Lord once said to Abraham, the great father of faith, whose name was Abram at the time, “…Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
3. When Israel left Egypt for a land flowing with milk and honey they did not know that the enemy would later challenge them but God would prove faithful.
a. Ex 14:10 And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: Verse 13 “And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you today.”
1.) To step into the Red Sea was to step into the unknown.
b. Your faith must be strong to overcome fear. Note the last part of Is 40, verse 31“…they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Conclusion: Whatever godly thing you set out to do, if God is leading you, you don’t have to worry about being alone. God will go with you and surely help you to overcome the fear of walking alone. He is faithful!!!