Summary: What will you do with your disappointments? Will you allow them to stop you. Or, will you allow God to use them to strengthen, temper and intensify your life?
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
November 3rd, 2013
OVERCOMING THE MOUNTAIN OF DISAPPOINTMENT
Satan/always doing/utmost/stall/work of God.
• He hindered/Jews/building/temple
• Today he endeavors/hinder/people/God/spreading/gospel.
• Only design is to hurt the cause of God.
• To do his infernal work, he has many weapons in his arsenal.
• greed/anger/Malice/false accusation/lust/Evil desires
• the temptation to revenge.
• Of all his weapons/none/sharper/one called discouragement.
• If he can get/saints/God to despair over their efforts
• His battle is already won.
Disappointment is the theme of this passage.
• People/Israel/prophet Haggai/disappointed/discouraged.
• Years earlier/586 BC/Babylonians had invaded Israel.
• Taken/people/Babylon as captives.
• Babylonians destroyed Solomon's Temple/Jerusalem.
After 50 years, some/people/allowed/return/Israel.
• They began/process/rebuilding/Temple.
• Work stopped/opposition/Samaritans.
• 16 years/Temple remained unfinished.
Then, God raised up/prophet Haggai to call the people back to their task of rebuilding the Temple.
• People responded/voice of God's man/began to build again.
• Only a month/they became discouraged/again wanted/quit.
• were disappointed/Temple/building
• Discouraged in the work they were doing.
Haggai writes to them/challenge them/encourage them/carry on.
• That is a message I think we could all use today.
• Do you ever get discouraged?
• Do you ever find yourself disappointed/your work/Lord?
• We all do!
Times when disappointment looms over us like an impossibly high, impassable mountain.
If we are not careful: Our disappointments can:
• Derail our lives and cause us to lose faith and focus.
• Even cause us to quit/Lord.
The lessons taught here can help us when we are overwhelmed by disappointment and want to quit.
I want to talk to you about Overcoming The Mountain Of Disappointment.
I. THE CAUSES OF DISAPPOINTMENT
The reasons for their disappointment are many
• Most of them revolve around a bad memory.
• Memory can be a blessing or a curse.
• Jews were guilty/focusing/negative
• Forgetting all about/positive.
• For these Jews memory was a heavy burden that hindered their progress.
v. 3a The Things We Remember – Haggai asked the question, “Who is left among you that saw this house in her former glory?”
• Haggai prophesied in 520/Temple/destroyed/586 BC.
• 66 years since Solomon's Temple had been destroyed.
• some people among/Jews/seen/first Temple
• One built by Solomon.
• They remembered its glory, it's gold covered walls
• contained $20,000,000.00 worth of gold
• Its splendor, its size, and its breathtaking beauty.
• Recalled/glory days
• Shekinah glory/God filled/temple