Summary: On this Palm Sunday we are going to look at the triumphal entry of King Jesus into Jerusalem, Jesus’ cleansing of the temple, and Jesus doing wonderful things.
PALM SUNDAY: THE TRIUMPHAL ENTRY OF KING JESUS
OPENING VIDEO: The Skit Guys: “Palm Sunday.”
INTRO TO TOPIC:
• Palm Sunday is the first day of Passion Week – the last week of Jesus’ earthly life.
• It was on this day that the Lord Jesus made His triumphal entry into the city of Jerusalem.
• In some denominational churches, they have a season called ‘Lent’ where they prepare their hearts for Easter Sunday. Although that is not necessarily a Biblical concept, we are going to prepare our hearts this Sunday morning to enter into the Easter Season.
THE BIG IDEA: On this Palm Sunday we are going to look at the triumphal entry of King Jesus into Jerusalem, Jesus’ cleansing of the temple, and Jesus doing wonderful things.
I. THE TRIUMPHAL ENTRY OF KING JESUS:
“1 Now when they drew near Jerusalem, and came to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Loose them and bring them to Me. 3 And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, 'The Lord has need of them,' and immediately he will send them.” (Matthew 21:1-3, NKJV).
• We don’t know much about the man who owned this donkey.
• But when he heard that “The Lord has need of it.” He gave it.
• What does Jesus ask YOU to give today?
• What will you do with your talents and resources?
“4 All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: 5 "Tell the daughter of Zion, Behold, your King is coming to you, Lowly, and sitting on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey." 6 So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them. 7 They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them. 8 And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road.” (Matt. 21:4-8, NKJV).
• Picture this triumphal entry! Jesus is riding into the city on a donkey.
• The people cut down palm branches and lay their clothes on the road before Him.
• This was like rolling out the red carpet to welcome the King!
“9 Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: "Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!" 10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, "Who is this?" 11 So the multitudes said, "This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.” (Matt. 21:9-11, NKJV).
• The people are passionately worshipping and praising the coming of the King!
• In Luke’s Gospel, he adds: “Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen.” (Luke 19:37).
• What a joyful celebration this was – the people rejoiced in God’s goodness!