Summary: This sermon is an overview of the series "The Word On Parenting" and a treatment of four essential relationships in successful parenting.
P A R E N T I N G: T H E B I G P I C T U R E
¡§Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.¡¨
That verse tells me there are two basic gifts we are to give our children: Roots and Wings.
Train up a child in the way he should go¡XWe are to give our children roots ¡V a solid biblical roots or a foundation for living. Part of those roots = helping them understand the way to God, through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord, and secondly, how to walk with God in a personal relationship¡K. It says,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it. ¡V Wings ¡V Releasing them with the tools, power and training to live their own lives in close relationship with Jesus Christ¡K influencing others for Him.
There is no more important calling in all the world than that of being a parent¡K
Today Begin A Series: ¡§The Word On Parenting¡¨
Our aim is to present, in a relevant way, basic scriptural principles essential to providing our children with godly Christian Roots and Wings.
Four Preliminary Comments:
1. This subject is of interest to some more than to others. (True of any topical series). But I say to you, young or old, married or single, parent or grand parent ¡K if your are not in some way blessed, affirmed, guided, corrected or healed in your spirit through the teaching of the Word in this series, week in and week out, then I will be very surprised and disappointed. God is going to meet us where we are and apply His word to our hearts and lives. 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. 2 Tim 3:17 It is God’s way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.
Mat 18:5 And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.
Mat 18:6 But if anyone causes one of these little ones who trusts in me to lose faith, it would be better for that person to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around the neck. Children are important to God and we will all learn better how to view, value and treat children as precious to God.
2. A Biblical Study: not lessons in child psychology --- ¡§The WORD on Parenting¡¨
3. I am not (NOT) a perfect example of all I that I will teach¡K God has been gracious to us in that we have been blessed with four sons, all grown, and I am very proud of them all. But I am still learning just like you and I have made mistakes, some funny and some not so funny.
4. It¡¦s never to late to begin¡K
TODAY¡¦s TITLE: PARENTING: THE BIG PICTURE (OVERVIEW)
PROP: GOD INTENDS FOR YOU TO SUCCEED IN PARENTING
TRANS: FOUR RELATIONSHIPS WE MUST PAY ATTENTION TO
IN ORDER TO SUCCEED IN PARENTING
(1) God and Your Child (2) You and Your God
(3) You and Your Child (4) You, Your Teen and Beyond
Our series is organized around those four relationships. Each of the 16 messages beyond today¡¦s, will fall under one of four categories based on those four relationships. Today¡¦s message will be an introduction to the total series by highlighting the four main divisions of the series as individual points in the sermon outline.
Part I: 1ST Relationship „³ God and Your Child
Healthy parenting begins in the heart and mind of the parent or prospective parent.
LESSON: In order to parent right we must think right about children.
QUESTION: How does God view your child? ¡K children?
Trans: Two Ways Treasure & a trust
„« A Treasure „³ Precious and valuable¡K important
„« A Trust „³ Entrusted to us/ to you for a purpose ¡K raising godly offspring.
Psalm 127: 3&4 ¡§Behold, children are a gift of the LORD; The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth.¡¨
(Psalm 139 ¡V tells us He fashioned them right in the womb¡K
Treasure: Precious, valuable¡K important
Trust: to be cared for as God would care for them¡K raise godly offspring¡K
Common Mistake: ¡§Can you imagine bringing a child into this troubled world today?¡¨ Reaction often out of fear, convenience or may I say even ignorance¡K.
God tells us the whole point is to bring godly offspring into an ungodly world so they can make a difference for Christ¡K ¡§Be fruitful and multiply...¡¨ has never been retracted¡K