Summary: More Disciples are called to follow Jesus.
Part 9 – Jesus Calls More Disciples
Pastor Bruce A. Shields
House of Faith – www.PS127.org
INTRODUCTION TO SERMON
† Jesus is Baptized in Jordan by John the Baptist
† Jesus receives the Holy Spirit
† Jesus is tempted by Satan in the wilderness
† Jesus calls His first 4 Disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter, John & James
† Jesus’ calls Philip & Nathanael
PRAYER FOR HOLY SPIRIT AND UNDERSTANDING
“43 The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, "Follow me."
44 Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. 45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."
46 "Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked.
"Come and see," said Philip.
47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false."
48 "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."
49 Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."
50 Jesus said, "You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that." 51 He then added, "I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."
We see Jesus the day after He called Andrew, Simon Peter, James and John, heading with them towards Galilee to start His public Ministry.
Along the way, somewhere between the Jordan River and Galilee, the scriptures tell us that Jesus found Philip.
I. Jesus found Philip (the disciple, not the evangelist in Acts)
a) Jesus must have been looking for him to find him
1. The scriptures say that the Spirit of the Lord searched the world to find one righteous, and found Noah.
2. Proverbs 20:27 – “The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being.”
3. We can not hide who we are from the Lord. We can not hide our hearts or our true intensions.
4. The scriptures say that only God knows the heart of man, and that is why He is the Judge who will Judge us righteously.
5. Philip well versed in the scriptures (John 1:45 & 46)
6. Also, later asked Jesus to show him the Father
b) Jesus is searching for those who are willing to follow Him
1. Philip recognized Jesus because of the Word of God
2. Jesus met the criteria of Messiah written in the Word of God by Moses and the Prophets
3. Philip was a man seeking the Truth, and the Father in heaven, which always lead us to Christ, because He is the ONLY way to the Father.
4. The Lord sought Moses, and David, as well as many prophets and Kings to serve Him.
II. Philip found Nathanael (Bartholomew)
a) A natural response to relationship with Christ is witnessing to others
1. When Andrew met Jesus, he ran to Simon to tell him
2. When Philip met Jesus, he ran to Nathanael to tell him
3. When we meet Jesus, we need to RUN to tell others
4. This is the basic instruction of the Lord to us in the Great Commission, GO – Teach them how to be saved – Baptize them in the name of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey all that I command.
b) Philip could not convince Nathanael
1. We do not have the ability to make anyone believe in the Lord
2. Only the Holy Spirit can convince a soul
3. Only when others meet Jesus are they saved
4. Most are skeptical, until the meet Christ face to face
5. Doubting (lack of faith) is not a sin, unbelief is
6. Jesus says, “Seek and you WILL find, knock and the door WILL be answered.”
Nathanael says – “Nazareth! Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”
Nazareth was looked down upon by Israelites, as the least of cities.
But God does the greatest with the least so that all know it was the power of God!
Such as with David.
c) Philip introduced Nathanael to Jesus
1. Philip doesn’t argue, simply tells Nathanael “Come and see”
2. We need to tell others, “Come and see for yourself!”
3. Introducing others to Christ
4. The Holy Spirit and presence of the Lord will convince their hearts
5. Simon doubted until he met Christ
6. Nathanael doubted until he met Christ