Summary: Engaging your role in the church
Part of the Team
Everybody Should Be Part Of The Team; Let there be real harmony so there won't be divisions in the church. I plead with you to be of one mind, united in thought and purpose 1 Cor. 1:10
I loved watching the end of NBC broadcast where they would show a USA gold medal ceremony and you could see most of those athletes fighting back the emotion of doing something great for their teamUSA!
Enter Leo Manzano USA - Silver 1500M - Held up 2 Flags: USA & Mexico - disliked move even by the mexican american community “in this context.” CHOOSE YOUR TEAM!
· That's what the Apostle Paul is telling the church at Corinth as
he opens his first letter to them.
· Let there be real harmony so there won't be divisions in
the church. I plead with you to be of one mind, united in thought and
purpose 1 Cor. 1:10
· Let there be real harmony, united in thought and
or I wonder if he was also thinking: SO THE WHOLE TEAM CAN WIN!
· Everybody needs a team
· And from my perspective most teams need EVERYBODY!
· Good teams are united and everyone (whether on the field or in practice)
In the New Testament , and today our team is called the CHURCH.
· Jesus Christ never expected any individual Christian to go it alone.
o All of us should be part of the whole THE TEAM
So what does it take to be a part of the TEAM
Well first, maybe I need to share with you the
I. IMPORTANCE OF THE TEAM
Why The TEAM Is Necessary At All.
Side: Some people feel being a part of the church is an option.
- Ill just attend
- ll just when I'm comfortable going when
- I don't need to commit or join the TEAM
- Just hanging out with the TEAM surely is enough
There are several reasons why just attending isn't enough
- just hanging out or pitching in from the sidelines just
won't accomplish what God intended for His Church His TEAM
(And amazingly – the four reasons spell out TEAM)
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so
you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my
disciples, if you love one another. John 13:34-35 (NIV)
· Jesus knew what we should know PEOPLE ARE WATCHING US
o When the world seeing us loving and working as a team they take
o We live in a very look out for number one society
o The church THE TEAM goes contrary to that
o What we do we do for OTHERS
o And when we do it right it is a powerful testimony to those
outside the church
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.
They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere
hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the
Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. Acts
*Nothing is as powerful as an encouraging word
Timely advice [encouragement] is as lovely as golden apples in a
silver basket. Proverbs 25:11
Where do you get it? You should get it at church!
Why we try to maintain a positive service
o We can point out the errors, spots to be strengthened